Tour Northern Spain, Santander to Santander

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulLittle

I am toying with this idea after having recently returned to cycling courtesy of the C2W scheme :blush:

Considering the Cantabria region, probably around May 2013 arriving/leaving from Santander so would have around eight days on the road (the ferry arrives Monday, leaves Wednesday).

I am looking for help/advice/pearls of wisdom etc.

I am riding a Specialized Sirrus tourer which I know people have done long distances on but should I consider changing ratios to cope with the hills in this part of Spain?

I also want to go light so probably will be B&Bing it - yeah, I know, I'm a big girls blouse :laugh:

Any help appreciated

Arsen Gere

Über Member
The Vuelta was in that region and over at the north east coast this year. Might be some good videos around, it looked very beautiful.

MarkF

Guru
Hi Paul, I've toured Cantabria and Asturias on hybrids and crossed Spain on a Sirrus this year. Your bike will be up to the task.

IMO Cantabria is very nice indeed but Asturias is spectacular, Spaniards don't call it the natural paradise for nothing. You could go West see the Picos and some lovely seaside and inland places whilst riding on pretty much deserted roads, then, get the FEVE train back to Santander.

It will be warm in May but can rain at any time, B+B are plentiful about 20 euros a night.

OP
OP
PaulLittle

PaulLittle

Thanks for that Mark. As far as b&bs are concerned is it neccesary to book ahead or just turn up? I am thinking of taking a light sleeping bag and a bivvy bag for justin...

MarkF

Guru
I don't book because I never know where I am going to end up, it all adds to the fun, never had a problem getting a room and can't imagine that you will, especially in May. Unless you want to camp, the extras are not necessary IMO.

BTW The train ride from, say, around Gijon to Santander is a real treat, it wriggles to and from the coast and takes about 6 hours (stops at every one horse town) and the views are wonderful. Costs peanuts too.

OP
OP
PaulLittle

PaulLittle

Any recommendations for routes? I'd like to keep it fairly open but some good places to aim for along the way would be good. If Iam taking the train back to Santander I will have from about midday on the monday through to the Tuesday of the week after on the road. The ferry leaves Santander in the evening of Wednesday so a nice leisurly trip back to catch that would be good

MarkF

Guru
Both the coast and interior are wonderful IMO, I'd use the coast and hop in and out. nice ride to Llanes from Santander then could go inland via Posada on the AS115 towards the Picos. Take the 114 to Canga de Onis and back down to the coast on the 634 to beautiful Ribadsella. Bloody hard work but sights you'll remember.

The wetlands around Villaviciosa are lovely and I like Gijon, a City overlooked by many but it's older part (Cimadevilla) and the San Lorenzo beach are great. Oviedo (you could catch train from there) is worth seeing as well. Too much to mention, wish I was going back! Oh, the sidra is very nice too ...............

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Brittany Ferries have got a nice little route on their website heading up into the Pico's and doing a loop back to Santander .

OP
OP
PaulLittle

PaulLittle

Both the coast and interior are wonderful IMO, I'd use the coast and hop in and out. nice ride to Llanes from Santander then could go inland via Posada on the AS115 towards the Picos. Take the 114 to Canga de Onis and back down to the coast on the 634 to beautiful Ribadsella. Bloody hard work but sights you'll remember.

The wetlands around Villaviciosa are lovely and I like Gijon, a City overlooked by many but it's older part (Cimadevilla) and the San Lorenzo beach are great. Oviedo (you could catch train from there) is worth seeing as well. Too much to mention, wish I was going back! Oh, the sidra is very nice too ...............

Thanks for that Mark. Just enjoying reading your very PC (NOT!) account of your cross Spain trip :laugh:

Cafejohnny

I am toying with this idea after having recently returned to cycling courtesy of the C2W scheme :blush:

Considering the Cantabria region, probably around May 2013 arriving/leaving from Santander so would have around eight days on the road (the ferry arrives Monday, leaves Wednesday).

I am looking for help/advice/pearls of wisdom etc.

I am riding a Specialized Sirrus tourer which I know people have done long distances on but should I consider changing ratios to cope with the hills in this part of Spain?

I also want to go light so probably will be B&Bing it - yeah, I know, I'm a big girls blouse :laugh:

Any help appreciated
Hi Paul, Did you do this trip in the end? Im thinking of doing this with our E Bikes this year if we can. Any routes or Info would be great. Thanks

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hi Paul, Did you do this trip in the end? Im thinking of doing this with our E Bikes this year if we can. Any routes or Info would be great. Thanks
Unfortunately, Paul's not been active on CycleChat since 2012 Johnny. I fear you're unlikely to get a reply from him, but there may be other members who've been to the region who might be able to help? Not sure, but @HobbesOnTour might have something to offer?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Hi @Cafejohnny

I did Santander to A Coruna (Western Galicia) a couple of years back, over ten days or so, in October.

Then back to Santander by the small train via a two night stopover in Oviedo - worth a visit.

Its all very picturesque. Both mountains and coast.

Hilly, so you'll be glad of those ebikes.

I took a hybrid.

The people are hospitable, there is plenty of affordable accomodation hotels, hostels and campsites.

I'm in the process of writing a trip journal about it, I'll try to get on with it.

Last edited:

Cafejohnny

Hi @Cafejohnny

I did Santander to A Coruna (Western Galicia) a couple of years back, over ten days or so, in October.

Then back to Santander by the small train via a two night stopover in Oviedo - worth a visit.

Its all very picturesque. Both mountains and coast.

Hilly, so you'll be glad of those ebikes.

I took a hybrid.

The people are hospitable, there is plenty of affordable accomodation hotels, hostels and campsites.

I'm in the process of writing a trip journal about it, I'll try to get on with it.
Many thanks. Sounds great. Is there much off road that you can do on tracks or similar. Can’t seem to find any info like a C2C type map ?
Unfortunately, Paul's not been active on CycleChat since 2012 Johnny. I fear you're unlikely to get a reply from him, but there may be other members who've been to the region who might be able to help? Not sure, but @HobbesOnTour might have something to offer?
Many thanks ian

Top Bottom