Tour O' The Borders riders attacked with sticks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4947371, member: 9609"]Stuff like this doesn't happen round here
[/QUOTE]

Because all the farmers up your way were killed by werewolves! :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tour O' The Borders is one of few events that requires riders to affirm that they are "in good health" thereby excluding capable cyclists with certain health conditions, so I find it difficult to summon much sympathy for the organiser. Calling the protestors idiots isn't exactly going to smooth things over for next time, either.

It's still a shame for the attacked riders, though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"If anyone knows who is responsible" Are they joking? They would be laid in the hedge with those sticks shoved where the sun doesnt shine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Marie Curie Pennines Etape was cancelled partly through local opposition, but also declining interest.

The powerful farming lobby in County Durham was at the forefront of the protest, although I could never understand how closing a few roads for a few hours adversely impacted farming.

Traders in Barnard Castle were also not particularly keen.

The sportive was a nett loss to some of them, the cycling spend being less than the amount they lost from regulars who avoided the town on that day.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not sure I really support closing the public highway just so people can pay a fee to a private company to ride round. Fair enough maybe for a proper race, or a mass participation thing like marathon, but for a commercially organised leasure ride, not so much.

This doesn't in anyway absolve the twats attacking cyclists

Yes this predilection with closed roads is just a nonsense. Fair enough if there's a specific need on specific stretches of the route but even then there will doubtless be other options such as one way diversions, e.g. So traffic is only coming towards the riders and not having to overtake. Road closures antagonise residents and are just a sop to the lycra clad, middle aged overweight phoneys who think that sportives are races. The sooner they disappear from our roads the better.

Top Bottom