Tour of Ayrshire 30 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rallybiker

Rule #85
Just got this one entered. The Grando Fondo is a closed road 70 mile affair, but the route isn't out until 5 Dec. looking forward to riding somewhere new! Anyone else out?

doddy73

Über Member
Signing up for the early bird price tomorrow, some great routes around Ayrshire that will be all the better with no traffic.

DavidD

Got my eye on this one, I know its more a race than a sportive but would this be a good or bad first long distance riding event to enter.

GGJ

Veteran
Got my eye on this one, I know its more a race than a sportive but would this be a good or bad first long distance riding event to enter.

I think it will be a tough day in the saddle for a first long distance event unless you're well prepared. Good news is you have 4 months 23 days to get yourself into shape. I did the Braveheart event at the end of October and it's well organised (same organisers) but the weather was not so kind and a lot of back roads with farm run-off made for a dehydrated ride. There were a couple of accidents where ambulances were called, loads of punctures, plenty wannabe Pros giving the close pass on the downhill section then struggling up the climbs again, which meant passing them until the next downhill section and it all repeated itself again... The thought of battling with another 5000 cyclists on these roads means I won't be taking part. Good luck to all who do participate and hope the weather is kind to you. Have fun

DavidD

I think it will be a tough day in the saddle for a first long distance event unless you're well prepared. Good news is you have 4 months 23 days to get yourself into shape. I did the Braveheart event at the end of October and it's well organised (same organisers) but the weather was not so kind and a lot of back roads with farm run-off made for a dehydrated ride. There were a couple of accidents where ambulances were called, loads of punctures, plenty wannabe Pros giving the close pass on the downhill section then struggling up the climbs again, which meant passing them until the next downhill section and it all repeated itself again... The thought of battling with another 5000 cyclists on these roads means I won't be taking part. Good luck to all who do participate and hope the weather is kind to you. Have fun

Main reason this one appealed was I live about 5 minutes from the start/finish line, would you do the braveheart again?

GGJ

Veteran
Main reason this one appealed was I live about 5 minutes from the start/finish line, would you do the braveheart again?

I probably would do it again David, it's a well organised event with marshals controlling traffic at every road junction, I never had to stop once on the entire route. Yes there were a few nutters giving close passes but with only around 600 starters compared to the predicted 5000 for the T.D.A. then I can only imagine the mayhem when they are squeezed onto the smaller road spaces.

Since you're sort of in the area, get yourself down to Dailly and do the Ayrshire Alps, that's a good 64 mile ride that will test your limits

DavidD

I probably would do it again David, it's a well organised event with marshals controlling traffic at every road junction, I never had to stop once on the entire route. Yes there were a few nutters giving close passes but with only around 600 starters compared to the predicted 5000 for the T.D.A. then I can only imagine the mayhem when they are squeezed onto the smaller road spaces.

Since you're sort of in the area, get yourself down to Dailly and do the Ayrshire Alps, that's a good 64 mile ride that will test your limits

As I say I live close by and ride on these roads on a daily basis can't imagine 5000 cyclists on them, only been to Dailly once to play golf never cycled about there, gonna see if I can find a route for it on here and give it a try

GGJ

Veteran
Here's someone's Strava for the Ayrshire Alps Click

sneaky beaky

Any idea how many might turn out to this, I was hoping to do this years The Beastie, with Graeme Obree but it seems this has replaced it.
Good luck to all

sneaky beaky

Did the Medio Fondo today - Had a great day, bit new to sportives this being only no2 - but thought it was very well attended and will look forward to next years event.
I think just over 1500 or so rode the event over 2 days.
Very happy to get a medal too, came about 3rd in my age group.
It was very windy today, someone said 30mph headwinds and it was a challenge for sure.
Overall the whole day seemed well organised to me.

Top Bottom