tour of belgium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
So just switched over and saw tommy voeckler crash....

His own bottle fell out of cage and jammed his back wheel.... weird way to crash...

montage

God Almighty

His own bottle fell out of cage and jammed his back wheel.... weird way to crash...

Good. Karma for trying to ruin the TdF with stupid faces

That's too bad, this must be his first race since he busted his collarbone, hope le chouchou bounces back soon. There are some pretty good riders in this race too, Cancellara, Roelandts, Griepel et al.

RWright

Guru

I just this evening read an article at bikeradar.com that was dated about a month ago, titled Cancellara calls for "dangerous" water bottle design to be changed. I am new to following cycling races and this is probably old news, but it seems he got hurt last year when he ran over one himself.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just this evening read an article at bikeradar.com that was dated about a month ago, titled Cancellara calls for "dangerous" water bottle design to be changed. I am new to following cycling races and this is probably old news, but it seems he got hurt last year when he ran over one himself.
It was a freak accident while boneshaking along on a pavé section and I don't think a different bottle design would have changed things much. It looked a painful fall though.

oldroadman

Veteran
Good. Karma for trying to ruin the TdF with stupid faces
It may be meant as a joke, but it's a poor one.
Tommy rides for all to see the effort, which I am happy to see in contrast to some of the poker faces of the past. Someone who rides with his heart maybe more than his head, and the peloton needs characters.
A freak crash and painful as well. These are the ones which hurt the most and often cause (yet another) collar bone to go, or worse.
It could be that the cage had opened a little and the bottle was loose enough to fall out, this can happen and get a bit worse without being noticed by either rider or team mechanics. I know, it's happened to me but without the disasterous consequences suffered by Tommy.
The Tour of Belgium is actually a strange race, a combination of flat and windy plus "berg" stages with plenty of pave. Almost like an extended, multi-day version of RVV, and a hard race (as if any Belgian race is easy!).

When we were in Flanders one of our guys lost 3 bidons in a day on the bergs. It was a carbon cage too, so cant bend etc, so I am guessing it was either a particulary rough bit or he never put the bidon back all the way.

RWright

Guru
Bad to see him crash and get hurt like that. The fall didn't look like it would break a collarbone but I am sure those bricks don't have much give in them. Those guys are so light they must have hollow bones like birds.

Was a great finish yesterday and fun watching to see if the big group could reel in the three break away riders at the very end. Oh so close.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was a freak accident while boneshaking along on a pavé section and I don't think a different bottle design would have changed things much. It looked a painful fall though.
The bottle design that Cancellara wants outlawed are the ones with screw-on caps that don't pop open when ridden over. The push-on ones do and therefore can be compressed by the wheel. It makes sense to me.

oldroadman

Veteran
The bottle design that Cancellara wants outlawed are the ones with screw-on caps that don't pop open when ridden over. The push-on ones do and therefore can be compressed by the wheel. It makes sense to me.
Agree with that, a non-compressible bottle would be like hitting a rounded brick, not good. Why anyone wold want a screw on cap suprpises me, quick access is important, and the type with just a pull-out top that are screwed on are not great, as there's not a good flow for a quick gulp when the pressure is on.

Top Bottom