Tour of Britain 2023 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
There's an article on the BBC here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66768967
Tour of Britain: Staging elite cycling in the UK 'definitely' harder than ever
Putting on cycling road races in the UK is "most definitely" the hardest it has ever been according to an organiser of Britain's showpiece events - with top riders also concerned.

Interesting but a few contradictions. I does cost anything to host the Vuelta! Of course it does it's coming out if someone else budget.

Cycling needs to be funded higher up the food chain, not at council level, fighting for funds with swimming pools and libraries not to mention home care!

It's a similar situation with royalty do they apply for councils to attend events? Stage rolling road closures? I bet a kings ransom they don't!

Of councils don't want to stage events the pass them by and use those that do or use other venues such as motor racing circuits, show grounds etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting but a few contradictions. I does cost anything to host the Vuelta! Of course it does it's coming out if someone else budget.

Cycling needs to be funded higher up the food chain, not at council level, fighting for funds with swimming pools and libraries not to mention home care!

It's a similar situation with royalty do they apply for councils to attend events? Stage rolling road closures? I bet a kings ransom they don't!

Of councils don't want to stage events the pass them by and use those that do or use other venues such as motor racing circuits, show grounds etc.

There's the problem: not many councils actually do want to stage events. And you can't really blame them as they are desperately short of cash.

So that leaves motor racing circuits. If that's all there is - why bother?

I think the fact that ASO were unable to make a go of the TdY, after a promising start and all the TdF razamatazz tells us a lot.

And Britain doesn't have much in the way of tradition or history of road racing. From what I've read, after the WWII there was another war when the alphabet soup of cycling organisations declared war on each other and banned each others members due to one lot wanting to keep road racing banned and the other lot not.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
But is Pro road racing (arguably the least accessible form of cycling around!) the best way to spend this ?

Of course it would be great if there was enough funding for all, but this is the UK (and a Tory-run OK, to boot) ...

Seems like there was enough people out watching it!
If gov were involved then big business would take note and rising tide floats all boats etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, the early incarnations of the "Tour of Britain" were actually banned by the National Cyclists Union. :wacko:
The velodrome-obsessed anti-road-cycling NCU became part of today's British Cycling, by hijacking the pro racing British League of Racing Cyclists (according to its founder, Percy Stallard). I'd remember that when choosing where you pay subscription between local BC, Clarion and other clubs.

Top Bottom