Tour of Britain 2023 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Had a cracking day out! Went to Tewksbury for the start…wish we’d got there sooner as we didn’t get a great spot for the team sign on but did for the actual start! Then headed to just west of Cirencester to see them go by. Live racing is always so flipping exciting!

I'll be watching them through our village tomorrow, then cycling over to Caerphilly, to catch them on the two laps of Caerphilly mountain.

Might struggle to find a spot there, I'll only get there about an hour ahead of the race.

They rode today over some of the roads I used on my day out in Gloucestershire last year - including Crawley hill out of Uley. I suspect my Strava position will have gone down by nearly 100 on that :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
They rode today over some of the roads I used on my day out in Gloucestershire last year - including Crawley hill out of Uley. I suspect my Strava position will have gone down by nearly 100 on that :smile:

Just went and had a look, and on the steep part of that hill, 22 out of the top 25 times were set today - and one of the other tree was Andrew Feather :smile:

Look at the full climb, and the first 27 times were set today.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Just went and had a look, and on the steep part of that hill, 22 out of the top 25 times were set today - and one of the other tree was Andrew Feather :smile:

Look at the full climb, and the first 27 times were set today.

Same for devils staircase Feather and then Ed Laverick.

GuyBoden

Guru
WVA should win this race overall, there are not enough hills for Pidcock. In my amateur opinion.

Enjoyable race, apart from the stoppage, but, as the majority had predicted, WVA won the overall GC. Jumbo have too strong a team. Ineos will be pleased that they at least got a stage win.

Alex321

Veteran
I'll be watching them through our village tomorrow, then cycling over to Caerphilly, to catch them on the two laps of Caerphilly mountain.

Might struggle to find a spot there, I'll only get there about an hour ahead of the race.

Surprisingly, still plenty of space when I got there, though it did get very crowded later. I had a good spot, about 50 yards down from the KOM point, and could have touched the riders as they came past.

Rodriguez leading the first time up the climb
20230910_153805.jpg

And the next few. I video'd the 2nd time, which you can't attach here.
20230910_153814.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The post-sprint stages were much more interesting!

I think the race showed that time bonuses are a good thing. Ok, WVA defended his 3 seconds well but one puncture during that defence could have destroyed his chances.

Jameshow

Veteran
I shows UK pro cycling needs a radical shake up. Decisions need to be made and funded a government level and not asking cash strapped councils pay as they have other funding necessities. Routes should be decided in location and what makes a good race, not who pays for a it.

Just my thoughts!

Alex321

Veteran
I shows UK pro cycling needs a radical shake up. Decisions need to be made and funded a government level and not asking cash strapped councils pay as they have other funding necessities. Routes should be decided in location and what makes a good race, not who pays for a it.

Just my thoughts!

All the big stage races are that way. Towns pay significant sums to have a stage finish in the Tour De France (according to blogs I have seen, it is about $120,000) and a smaller amount to host a start, and I believe it is similar in the other Grand Tours, and most of the smaller tours.

It is largely up to the organisers then to find routes between the start and finish which will make the race challenging, and apart from the final two stages, they really didn't do that this year.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
All the big stage races are that way. Towns pay significant sums to have a stage finish in the Tour De France (according to blogs I have seen, it is about $120,000) and a smaller amount to host a start, and I believe it is similar in the other Grand Tours, and most of the smaller tours.

It is largely up to the organisers then to find routes between the start and finish which will make the race challenging, and apart from the final two stages, they really didn't do that this year.

It'll be interesting to get the viewing numbers as that's what attracts advertisers and sponsors. I can't help but think that it will be lower; purely anecdotally the cyclists I ride with haven't watched as it has been, in the main, unexciting riding. A real pity as the weather this year was excellent and showed the country off at its best.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we will continue to see the ToB in its current structure in future years

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It'll be interesting to get the viewing numbers as that's what attracts advertisers and sponsors. I can't help but think that it will be lower; purely anecdotally the cyclists I ride with haven't watched as it has been, in the main, unexciting riding. A real pity as the weather this year was excellent and showed the country off at its best.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we will continue to see the ToB in its current structure in future years
And it has clashed with the Vuelta. Does it normally do this? I can't remember.

Anyway I only have so much concentration I can give to following racing so I've confined myself to reading this thread this year. I think that was enough.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's an article on the BBC here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66768967
Tour of Britain: Staging elite cycling in the UK 'definitely' harder than ever
Putting on cycling road races in the UK is "most definitely" the hardest it has ever been according to an organiser of Britain's showpiece events - with top riders also concerned.

Alex321

Veteran
And it has clashed with the Vuelta. Does it normally do this? I can't remember.

Anyway I only have so much concentration I can give to following racing so I've confined myself to reading this thread this year. I think that was enough.

Yes, it clashed with the Vuelta last year as well. It didn't the year before, but that was because schedules for many races including the Vuelta were changed during the first year back after COVID.

Top Bottom