Tour of Britain Marshall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

Any one else volunteered to marshall at the Tour of Britian Prologue on Sunday? Should receive details today, not marshalled before but looking forwards to seeing the fast guys in action. Maybe the chance to meet up with some other Cycle Chat users.

noggin

Have you heard anything from Rob Jeffries (Marshall organiser) yet?
I'm marshalling in Glasgow (3rd year now) and it'll probably be last minute and as disorganised as usual

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

'spoke' via email yesterday as I was concerned I had not heard anything and was told packs will be sent out for Weds / Thurs. Hope it's not as chaotic as you suggest:wacko:. I am assuming that it will be a reasonably long day, what can I expect?

Keith Oates

Janner
Never done the Marshalling bit in the UK but have here in the Philippines and I enjoyed the experience. I guess the odd naughty word from some car drivers etc. is to be expected but I found that when the race actually passed through everybody had eyes only for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nilling

Über Member
I am marshalling the Stage 5 sprint at Walton-le-Dale, Preston just had my confirmation through yesterday. This is just down the road for me. Last year did KoM and it was a bit of a bind getting there earlier so you could park somewhere. I enjoyed it and my kids liked the goodie bag :biggrin:

groucho

I am assuming that it will be a reasonably long day, what can I expect?

Get to position 1 hour before the Tour is due. (presuming one can park nearby!) Supervisors 11/2 hours before. Barrier crew before that.
Keep spectators off the road until the broomwagon has gone by!

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Well after being informed that the info pack will be sent on Weds, I have still not received any details about being a Marshall. The office is now closed so can not get any info. I`m disapointed in the organisation and I`m unsure whether I should just turn up at 8:00am and chance it or to scrap the marshalling and just take the family to watch as the prologue, less hassle

phoenix

I signed up to help on stages 3 and 4 and although I got confirmation stating that they will be in touch with details I have not had any contact from anyone yet.

Maybe they have got so many people helping already they don't need me :blush: Kind of puts you off if they can't tell you wants happening

Maybe I will just go hang around and take photos instead

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Well, received pack late last night, via email and marshalls were requested to muster at 2:00pm, I arrived at 12:15 but in reality Marshalls were needed from 8:00am. Many volunteers were not on the list and the co-ordinator said they were at least 50 short. However I got to work in the technical area watching the teams prepare and also at a crossing point later on so could watch a large number of riders on the course.
I did enjoy it but organisation could of been better. Not a bad goodie bag though!!

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

I was at the crossing at the bottom of the steps down from the carpark, the one that had to close during the race. Lots of irate people from the swimmimg pool and other sports areas that had no idea what was happening.

groucho

The police closed the road on which I was due to marshall - Stage 2 Goosemoor Sprint - well before the scheduled time. This meant I could not get through :0 :smile:

spen666

Legendary Member
Chiefwiggum said:
Well, received pack late last night, via email and marshalls were requested to muster at 2:00pm, I arrived at 12:15 but in reality Marshalls were needed from 8:00am. Many volunteers were not on the list and the co-ordinator said they were at least 50 short. However I got to work in the technical area watching the teams prepare and also at a crossing point later on so could watch a large number of riders on the course.
I did enjoy it but organisation could of been better. Not a bad goodie bag though!!

Interesting that as I'm still waiting for my pack.

no wonder they are short if they don't contact those who volunteer to marshall

Top Bottom