Tour Of Britain - Swift Pro Cycling Using Mechanical Shifting.

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by IanSmithCSE, 10 Sep 2019.

1. IanSmithCSE

IanSmithCSE Über Member

Good morning,

While watching the ToB highlights it seems that at least some of the Swift team are using mechanical shifting rather than electronic.

I also noticed that some riders in the women's Tour of Scotland were doing the same.

I can't workout if this is a personal choice or a budget issue, Swift have 14 riders (https://swiftcarbon.com/procycling/) so bikes for each of them plus a few spares ain't going to be cheap.

I would be surprised by either of the above reasons so can anyone think of a third reason?

Bye

Ian

2. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Preference of the mechanics might be a reason, but neither of the others would surprise me. We know cycling team budgets are often on a tightrope and they don't seem to have a drivetrain sponsor and some riders don't like things they can't check.

3. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Can also be preference of the riders e.g. Nibali used mechanical rather than electronic shifters for a couple of years despite the latter being provided foc by the team sponsors. IIRC, some switch to mechanical for Paris-Roubaix, presumably to avoid problems like batteries falling off, signal leads being detached etc

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Good old cables are reliable and quite often riders have preferences.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice