Tour of California Stage 1 (spoiler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
rich p said:
When PL isn't eulogising Saint Lance again and again and again.......
Dear god...<shudder>

Radius

SHREDDER
shame about that cos the coverage yesterday was very good. Ah well, and shame about Cancellara as well, and Lance's mishaps.

Skip Madness

Well, in spite of all of my many criticisms of Francisco Mancebo since Operación Puerto, that was one of the great stage victories of the past few years. An absolutely jaw-dropping ride - from the fact that he attacked virtually from the dropping of the flag, to the weather, to being able to out-sprint Nibali and Van de Walle after being caught. Ths is a guy who (with possible assistance) finished fourth in the Tour and third in the Vuelta - keeping him off the top of the podium will be a fair old task. One thing in the favour of his rivals is that he may well be knackered tomorrow, and the climb of Bonny Doon Road - which tops out 25 km from the finish line - could be a springboard for attacks.

We also get the Golden Gate Bridge tomorrow - hopefully we will see that on the television coverage.

Speaking of television coverage, the production today was nothing short of shocking. Inaccurate time gaps being given the whole way through, appalling choice of camera selections at times, the decision to keep the helicopter on the Armstrong group even after they had effectively given up on the final circuits rather than focus it on the front group, and the inability of the moto cameramen to wipe a lens, as well as constant nonsense coming over race radio. The weather would generously excuse some of that, but most of it was simply shoddy.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
That was a suprise for me although Mancebo was a good rider in the past so I suppose it's not such a suprise really. No doubt Astana are not too happy with the result and Leipheimer will have to work hard to take overall again this year. Seeing the way Armstrong was doing the domestique bit for Leipheimer shows he is prepared to work hard for the team and also that his fitness is quite good for this stage of the year.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom