Tour of Cambridgeshire 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
So from the sounds of it, we've got me, @Dec66, @Norry1 and @Whorty from here doing the ToC this year. Anyone else know anyone who's signed up?

Chances are I won't be riding with any of you as I'm quite slow - looking at about 6 1/2 hours as my target time, plus will probably stop at all the pitstops en route - but maybe there's a chance of a CC'ers meet up before everyone heads to their pens in the morning?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
So from the sounds of it, we've got me, @Dec66, @Norry1 and @Whorty from here doing the ToC this year. Anyone else know anyone who's signed up?

Chances are I won't be riding with any of you as I'm quite slow - looking at about 6 1/2 hours as my target time, plus will probably stop at all the pitstops en route - but maybe there's a chance of a CC'ers meet up before everyone heads to their pens in the morning?

Could be worth us setting up a Whatsapp group (or using the DD group is no one minds). I'm a novice on Whatsapp - anyone know how to set a group up?

@steverob
@Dec66 (a friend of yours Steve?)
@Norry1
@theboxers
@Whorty
@TurboTommy
@berty bassett
@LBHIFI
@bobinski
@bridgy

@CXRAndy i think has dropped out
@Breedon (Dean - you doing the ToC? Can't remember)
@peterob (not sure you're there?)
@Add (you signed up?)

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days

Given the amount of "training ballast" I'm still carrying, I don't think I'll be going any quicker than you!^_^^_^

I'm sure there's a chance of a meet up, not sure of my start time though as I'm still awaiting instructions... You got yours?

ETA: scrap that, I really need to read my emails...! I'll be up to register early Sunday.

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Given the amount of "training ballast" I'm still carrying, I don't think I'll be going any quicker than you!^_^^_^

I'm sure there's a chance of a meet up, not sure of my start time though as I'm still awaiting instructions... You got yours?
If you're doing the ToC100 I believe the start time is the same for all .... it will 10:15 I think. We'll arrange to see if we can meet up on the day as there will definitely be some of us riding at the same pace, at least early on. I've a target of 6 hours, which is similar to @steverob and @theboxers (and his 2 brothers) so could be a nice little group there to start with, to get used to the pace etc.

bridgy

Legendary Member

Yeah let's definitely meet up beforehand - as we did last year. The 100 mile sportive doesn't start until 10am and I for one will be at the venue quite early to avoid the higher parking fees and to sign in before the queues - so should be plenty of time for a pre-ride meet-up. We'll hopefully see each other for a free pint (or 3) of non-alcoholic beer at the end (nicer than it sounds - especially after a tough ride!)

steverob

Guru
Yeah, if you're just in the Sportive (the ToC100), then pens open at 10:00 for a ride start of 10:30. In previous years the pens were broken up into estimated average speeds, but I think now that they've separated out the Race and GranFondo riders into their own pens, they'll just let everybody else go in one mass group.

I'm staying at the Marriot hotel opposite the Peterborough Arena the night before, so won't need to head to the start line until about 09:30 (will have checked in and got my race numbers, etc. the evening before if that's better for a meetup).

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Norry and I are riding the GF rather than the sportive. We only start 15-20 min before you guys and i expect to be overhauled by you faster peeps. We start from a different part of the show grounds though so I may not see you all at the beginning. Staying at the radaisson blue in town so a slow ride in 9ish having registered day before.
Happy to arrange a meet up at venue saturday afternoon or very early evening.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Damn, the bike I found near our hotel was rented out via Fat Llama rent/hire portal, which I just found out is only for UK'ers :cursing:.
Anyone know a place near Vauxhall where I could get hold of a road bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Damn, the bike I found near our hotel was rented out via Fat Llama rent/hire portal, which I just found out is only for UK'ers :cursing:.
Anyone know a place near Vauxhall where I could get hold of a road bike?
https://www.onyourbike.com/london-bike-rental.php
Not too far away at London Bridge
Note, not open on Sunday

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
The conditions seemed to really knock a lot of people about. I was lucky in that it didn't seem to bother me. I like riding in the heat. The wind was brutal, but the group I was riding in worked well together and we were in echelons quite a lot.

To my great surprise, I managed to qualify for the World Championships which is in Poznan, Poland on 1st September.

I came 14th in my age group (55-59) out of 107 in a time of 4:35:59 (chip time) in the Gran Fondo.

Great to meet a bunch of CC'ers, shame I missed some of you.

Top Bottom