Tour of Cambridgeshire,Gran Fondo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
MJ, Why the assumption that the event must be full of dangerous riders because there is a requirement to wear helmets (is this not almost standard practice for multi rider events now)? do you know something we don't?
Don't you assume that hard hat areas contain extra dangers? Else why the hard hat rule?

It's not standard practice and there are plenty of events without it, although maybe most paid events do now, thanks to the twin cancers of ambulance-chasers and British Cycling moving into fun rides.

jack smith

Veteran
Helmets are strictly for insurance and uci rules

D-J-R-9

Don't you assume that hard hat areas contain extra dangers? Else why the hard hat rule?

Nope never assume, agreed they are generally in an area where there is greater risk of injury but hard hat areas are safe and getting safer over time, they have seen a decrease in accidents. Workers in this environment are more focussed, better trained and understand their work area as well as what too do.

Your statement is disingenuous to a vast number of the entrants as you have concluded that the event is "full" of dangerous riders. There indeed will be some but the majority will be safe. I am more than happy to cycle with a helmet on in a group of clubmen/experienced cyclists where we all know what to do rather than a gang of week-end warriors who think they are part of a pro team and the hobby cyclist, both groups cannot hold a wheel and behave in a group. Been wiped out by both, never been wiped out by a clubman (or indeed woman). I suspect that clubmen will outnumber both of the other groups combined.

It's not standard practice and there are plenty of events without it, although maybe most paid events do now, thanks to the twin cancers of ambulance-chasers and British Cycling moving into fun rides.

There may be plenty of rides where it is not compulsory but these are decreasing as insurance for such events are more nervy about covering an event without the helmet rule. I would suspect that all grand fondo's and the vast majority of sportive's have a mandatory helmet rule. Cant see how ambulance chasers have caused an issue. People are just more savvy and look for a compo pay out rather than writing off a spill as just an accident; frankly, if you have a nasty spill on a expensive bike and good kit you are going to be down a lot of money so only natural to look for some Wonga back. As for British Cycling this has got to be a good thing, the more people who are encouraged to get out on bikes and ride properly the better and hats off to BC for supporting this. Cancer is a horrible wicked illness I cannot see how BC can be called cancerous just because they are moving into "fun rides". persons need to be learn how to ride a bike properly, and these are a good start. Anyway i,m off to ride my bike

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There may be plenty of rides where it is not compulsory but these are decreasing as insurance for such events are more nervy about covering an event without the helmet rule. I would suspect that all grand fondo's and the vast majority of sportive's have a mandatory helmet rule.
Yes because the current rules for an accredited gran fondo and the BC rules for sportives require a mandatory helmet rule. There are insurers who require helmets and those that don't and BC's insurers seem to require helmets. Given their own ambassador Chris Boardman is anti-compulsion and BC's own SkyRides don't currently require helmets, it seems like one rule for BC's own fun rides and a different rule for everyone else.
As for British Cycling this has got to be a good thing, the more people who are encouraged to get out on bikes and ride properly the better and hats off to BC for supporting this. Cancer is a horrible wicked illness I cannot see how BC can be called cancerous just because they are moving into "fun rides".
Because pre-BC fun rides weren't made to look dangerous and require extra equipment besides the bike. There are still some non-BC fun rides but yes, there are a decreasing number, because BC's lottery funding means it's not really a fair competition.
persons need to be learn how to ride a bike properly
Other sorts of riding besides racing-style are also proper!

thatname

I'm signed up for this and quite looking forward to riding in a new area.

Top Bottom