tour of flanders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm off to the tour of Flanders in a couple of weeks,flights and hotel are sorted it's just down to "where to watch" ?
Was thinking of seeing something of it then getting to the finish ? Anyone who's been and seen it would appreciate any advice.Thanks in advance

There are excellent free shuttle buses from Oudenaarde to Oude Kwaremont. Last year we watched the start of the women's event in Oudenaarde and then got shuttle bus. We stayed there and watched the finale on the screens at fan village at Kwaremont but it might be possible to miss watching the final climb and catch shuttle back to see the end of the race in Oudenaarde. Not sure of this tho.

Last edited:
U

User169

The Koppenberg climb is only a couple of kms from Oudenaarde, so maybe you could watch there and then get back for the finish. The riders go up the Koppenberg 45 kms from the finish, so you should just have time to get back. I'd hang out at the fan village on Oude Kwaremont to be honest.

I'm going for the sportief the day before, but will be in Bruges on Sunday, so will watch the start and then retire to a bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for the info,I wanted to do the sportif but Mrs booked flights on Ryanair and it's extortionate to take bike and couldn't find anywhere local to hire.So I guess it'll have to be beer !!

oldroadman

Veteran
Without knowing where you are located, why fly? Down to London, Eurostar to Lille, over border by local train, done. As for getting about, it will be a mad rush but all part of the fun. In recent years the plot has been find a good café/restaurant somewhere on the parcours (they almost all show the race on TV), get beers musselen or kip and frites sorted out, nip outside to watch the race, back in to see the rest. Real fun in a group with an unofficial sweep for the winner by team. Winner takes all - just like a race. Have fun anyway, it's a much better day out than riding in the race!

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Nort West England,so train wasn't a option.After the terrible events in Brussels today I can't honestly say wether going now anyway.Thanks for the info though.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks,love Ghent where were staying.Haven't really been anywhere else yet ! Beer is keeping us here.We are going to oudenarde for the day to watch it there.My Mrs has a thing for men in Lycra(not me !) First bit of rain this morning,can't wait....

Top Bottom