Tour of Ireland ITV 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Towards the end of Thursday's stage Cavendish was seen pushing someone out of his way. I though you were not supposed to do that.:eek:
Or was the other person "blocking" him?

Also Malcom Elliott, at the age of 47, was if I understood it correctly, only five bikes lengths behind Cavendish at the finish. Elliott is now only 30 seconds behind Cavendish. :biggrin:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now't wrong with a bit of argy bargy.....

mondobongo

Über Member
ivancarlos said:
Another point! I was not impressed with Cav abandoning when he had the green jersey.

Took one look at Patrick's hill turned round and abandoned according to commentary. I was surprised that he packed it but there were plenty jacking including Bakstedt and Millar but then they never had the green jersey.

Is he tired its been a big year for him and could be catching him up, or sick he looked a little peaky when the cameras showed him.

ivancarlos said:
Another point! I was not impressed with Cav abandoning when he had the green jersey.

No, he was wearing the green jersey because he was leading at the end of Day 4, but he didn't 'have' it.

Downing won it, was 5 points behind Cavendish at the start of the day and finished 7 in front of him. As he, and Dean who ended-up second 2pts ahead of Cav, were in the bunch in front of Cavendish, it was likely that he was going to end-up 3rd.

So it was no surprise he abandoned - he's a sprinter not a climber, was out of touch with the leaders and not going to win anything, so what had he to gain by flogging himself up that hill 4 times and wrecking his legs ?

Better to withdraw and be in peak form for Missouri next week, where again he has chances of stage wins.

Blonde

Yes we were shouting 'you wuss' at the telly when Cav went back down St Patrick's Hill as well, but these are professional riders - once their 'job' is done they go home. Anyone who has watched domestiques or lead-out riders will know they pull to the side of the peleton once their part is over and let the big guns take the glory. They are paid to do that even if it does look a bit wussy and/or dull to us!

Blonde

andy_wrx said:
so what had he to gain by flogging himself up that hill 4 times and wrecking his legs ?

Better to withdraw and be in peak form...

I must remember to use that excuse next time I can't keep up... :biggrin:

Liveaxle

Speicher said:
Might be a bit late for me at 50 and three quarters. I am going to get a new saddle for my bike this week.

No it ain't:smile: I've just got into road riding at 52 and loving it.

Why did Millar retire, he was looking strong up til then?

Top Bottom