Tour of Qatar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Boonen is back in full flow as are the rest of the Quickstep team so for them it's business as usual. It's also a testing time for Millar and the Slipstream team where they can really see how they compare to the bigger teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Have been watching it out here on the SuperSport channel. Good to see some pro-cycling, but the commentator is some Aussie who isn't only crap at commentating, he's downright patronizing at times.

Can't see the attraction of the race though, they may as well ride on some salt pans, pretty boring stuff at times. Bring on Phil Ligget to make it a bit more interesting......

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
The race itself is not the most interesting but no doubt ASO are making a lot of money out of it from the Qatar Government so the teams have to butter them up and attend to try and get a slot in the TdF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Apparently Qatar are going for the 2016 olympics. God help us, it seems to be one of the most boring places on earth!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Boonen again took the stage on the 3rd day and so is still in the yellow jersey. Him and Quick Step are really making this 'their' race each year.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Well done to the geezer who punctured in the last ten and still made it for the sprint finish!!!!!!!

Still, deadly boring stage only enlivened by a crash and the final sprint, which itself was still boring and predictable

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Boonen beaten into 2nd place today so that was good for the Tinkov rider. Also pleased to see Slipstream make a good showing, they have a way to go but the signs are looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
There was some crazy action on the long stretch of straight, flat road, and it got pretty exciting when the colour of the grass on the central reservations changed. There was that other mad moment when they flew into a roundabout and really attacked that stretch of treacherous, straight, flat road.

Watched it without the sound last night, it actually improved the programme!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
You are lucky to get the TV coverage Zimzum, I can't find anything on the tele here so have to rely on Cycling news, which is good but the pictures most be better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

I've seen bits on French tv and it does look deathly dull... I didn't know there were roads that straight and flat!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Not the most exciting course I agree, however I think Slipstream had more than enough excitement today with the big crash near the end of the race. Hope Maggie can get back into racing again quickly after breaking his collarbone.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The crash was horrible, he had his head down and was starting to crank it up when the lead out man two ahead of Boonen pulled away right into his path, he didn't see it coming at all.

Not really the Quick-Step rider's fault though, the guy should have been looking where he was going!

oh well, we'll have to wait until next year I guess, if they can build all these amazing sporting facilities, hotels etc out of nothing out in the gulf, surely they could build a mountain?

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Well it's all over and to no ones suprise Boonen was the GC winner. Much as I admire the performance of him and his team I think Slipstream have also shown that they are worthy of places in the pro tour races. The Giro will be their first Grand Tour test and it will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom