Tour of the Peaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adetobee

I didn't take a picture at the top. I was trying for a silver time so didn't stop when I got there. Alas it wasn't to be and finished well outside the silver time. Being a lazy sod and staying at the feed station for half an hour didn't help either though.

The only negative for me, and a very minor negative, was Winnats Pass. I'm OK getting up Winnats Pass but came cropper when I reached the broken down ambulance about 3 quarters of the way up. Just couldn't squeeze past it and the oncoming cars so had to stop. There was no way I was going to be able to get clipped back in on that gradient so walked the rest of the way. Also spotted the photographer to late just before the steep bit. I was already on the limit at that point and too out of breath to pose and try to look like I was a real cyclist. Don't think they'll be going in the family album.

Other than that minor blip it was a fantastic day. Factor 50 so still white and pasty. Very impressed with the organisation too. It's a bit of a drive for me but I might be tempted to enter the Flatout in the Fens now.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Legs pretty stiff today. Should I go out for a recovery spin or just rest? Ideas guys?

Anyone else take the "I made it up" photo?

Catandfiddlecrop.jpg

Got to be done. Sadly this wasn't on the Tour of the Peaks but last years Cat & Fiddle Challenge :thumbsup:
scaled.php

rdt

I "bumped into" this event at Whaley Bridge while out riding on Sunday, so thought it'd be rude not to join in for a chunk of the route. Winnats was interesting, with stationary ambulance and queue of Caterhams etc, but miraculously all the traffic cleared in both directions as I got stuck into it and gave me a clear run. :smile:

For anyone in the area who can bunk off next week, there's a 120km Audax from Chapel on Wednesday 6th: "Old Lead Miners' Trail", which heads south into the White Peak. It's a fine route, largely on very quiet roads, with a couple of decent cafes (Monsal head & Moneyash) en route. Seems the official last entry date has passed, and not sure if on-the-line entry is possible, but contacting the organiser direct would probably be should anyone be interested:-
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-352/

rdt

Had forgotten about that one, doctornige. The week before the Evans Peaks ride is the Spud Riley / Polka Dot (starts @ Woodford), which has a great route on quiet roads (once into the hills), and is aid of a great cause (nb if I freeloaded on any of that I'd be sure to send a very fat donation to Christies).

Top Bottom