Touring and Boredom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike1026

What’s this; the sun is shinning, the scenery is drifting by in a dreamy sort of way; blue sky, fluffy white clouds. Your second cyclist’s senses are buzzing away in the background; pot holes, shards of glass, lorry coming up from behind. Another cyclist in the distance approaching; stop and wait for a chat; they pass by, grim faced; head down; legs a blur, carry on slightly disappointed, maybe next time; something else to look forward to. Rain clouds in the distance, look for shelter or press on? Compose a silly song; sing out loud. Look at that; WOW, stop and take a photo. Bored not me! Tat Tvam Asi (Chandogya Upanishad 6.8.7)

Bodhbh

Guru
nm this 200 mile day lark, just go to the pub, the lunatics will come out the woodwork, you'll mess up whatever plans you have, no boredom.

tourdottk

There are always a few boring periods in everybody's day, a few stressful bits and moments when you think: what am I doing this for. This applies to whether you are touring or not, but the fact that you are out there, pushing your own way to your destination should be a great feeling in general.

So, choose somewhere where you want to go and where there is something to see in terms of landscape. Doesn't somewhere in the world intrigue you? Have a rough route in mind, but plan each day where you'll go and if you learn about something good along the way, then change that plan. Choose somewhere suitable to your condition in the beginning. If you like camping, go to France, Eastern Europe or the USA: if you like being in hotels go to Turkey (can also camp everywhere), SE Asia: if you like adventure try the KKH in Pakistan...Man there is so much entertaining riding in the world. What is it that you really want?

Sonya

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm humbled by the website Sonya. It will doubtless come as a disappointment for you to read that my tour of a lifetime would last a month at most. And that's courting divorce. In fact, when I mentioned three weeks as an opening bid I was told to forget it. And then told that I'd have a support car behind me. With a telescopic sight trained on me.....

@dellzeqq i'm sorry to hear that your partner has that attitude. That must suck. From your other posts it seems like you're super fit and so would not run into too much trouble on tour...what is it that she's/he's worried about?

Touring is all about the journey. There's nothing boring about it - you can live totally in the moment and see the good in everything which surrounds you. That's why I like it!

bonj2

Kirstie said:
@dellzeqq i'm sorry to hear that your partner has that attitude.

to be fair you could say that to 90% of the people on this forum... count yourself lucky Kirstie :tongue:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Touring is all about the journey. There's nothing boring about it - you can live totally in the moment and see the good in everything which surrounds you. That's why I like it!

Yes, thats generally true, but when you've been cycling alone across basically the same landscape, with only minor variations, for a few weeks, in 30`C + , and every day is pretty much the same, it can start to get a bit of a drag.

tourdottk

Beating the Boredom

rualexander said:
Yes, thats generally true, but when you've been cycling alone across basically the same landscape, with only minor variations, for a few weeks, in 30`C + , and every day is pretty much the same, it can start to get a bit of a drag.

While I agree that it can sometimes be a lonely ride (even with a partner) and these less interesting places can't always avoided; you can do some things to alleviate the 'boring' element:

1. Read up on your route and if others talk about boring bits in it then either deviate from the track; take alternative transport through these parts; or don't go there; go someplace else where the landscape is not the same. There are enough blogs on the net these days to get a really good understanding of the terrain/country you are embarking on.

2. Give yourself a goal/ a reward: something as simple as taking your favourite candy with you and reward yourself every half an hour with a piece can work well as a treat through tough bits of riding. (works for me anyhow). Stop at intervals for nice food snacks and rests.

3. Use your walkman (traffic permitting) for music, books or language learning.

4. Take up singing to the rythym of your pedalling.

5. Pretend you are being interviewed by someone on a tv chat show about the trip and dream up all the good and bad things you would say in as much intimate detail as possible. (I know, I must look like a nutter chatting away to myself; but I don't care if it gets me there!)

6. Always have some sort of goal for each day, but don't overdo it. Make your trip distances enjoyable (terrrain permitting). If you have really had enough and there is somewhere suitable to stay, then stay there. Spontaneity can cure a lot of boredom.

7. On quieter roads, study the map in your map holder: memorise place names: put a completely different map in front of your face and study that for a while. If you are in a country where they speak a different language, write out a list of words or sentences to learn each day (could even do this in your own country if you are interested in languages)

8. Take up writing a travel journal and as you are riding along each day, think of the way you would write down what you are seeing (even the boring bits), smelling (even the stinky bits) and hearing. As I do a lot of writing for our website and I'm always looking for new ways to describe things. This challenge takes up at least an hour of my day on the bike.

Here's something I composed in my head when I was having a one of those moments riding out of Death Valley: It is one of those cracking rides averaging 6% over 15 kilometres. All you can do is find the right gear; sit back in the saddle; and just push those legs around and around till you get to the top. The day heats up and the sweat dripping off my nose and onto my knees feels a bit like cool rain, but common sense tells me that can't be true in this temperature. Maybe a high pressure rainstorm is about to happen. The fighter jets flying overhead could well be mistaken for thunder, except I am not entirely delirious yet. I really need to stop and go to the toilet but I start admiring the black silhouetted rock shapes against the sky from where the military aircrafts had emerged. My eyes give up on squinting, even with sunglasses on and shift immediately to the dainty plant life around me. I wonder how on earth anything grows out here. I'm mesmerized by the colourful display of tiny flowers. It feels better as I am able to shift down a gear, but my body reminds me once again that I really need to stop for a toilet break. My thoughts linger on the idea of eating something too. There's a slight grumble from my stomach. Yes. it is time to stop. It has been an hour of non-stop uphill pedalling. Now all I have to do is just wait for some shade.

I'm sure you can think of some other things too, more suited to you....until you are out of 'boring section'...

Sonya

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hubbike said:
My mum always told me, "Only boring people get bored."
almost as good as Schopenhauer 'the child that is bored lacks the moral seriousness required for play'

Top Bottom