Touring bike advice, please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tedx

Fandango said:
H.

1. For this much money I presume either bike will make it slightly easier to go up hills -

If you ever find a bike that does that PLEASE let me know!!

Brains said:
2. Suspension. My Schwinn has seat and front suspension which makes it super comfy. Touring bikes have neither, which seems odd.
No need for suspension on a tourer, or any other road bike, suspension is for mountain bikes. All it does is waste your energy.

I use a suspension seat post on my tourer - makes the loaded bike a lot more comfortable over rough surfaces like cobbles and at the end of long days when I am a bit tired and not seeing all the bumps - downside it is something else to go wrong

I also found that it made my aluminium hybrid a lot more comfortable

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Fandango - all the suggestions are very good.

Thorn is an exceptionally tough bike and great for expeditions (this is different from touring) in far away places. But, I've read of owners saying that once you return to your locality, the bike is overkill for local / day out rides.

Your Ridegback Panorama / Paul Hewitt & Galaxys are the best bikes for the type of touring that you describe. They'll be comfortable, reasonably fast and can carry plenty. You can enjoy them equally when you're not touring too.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

Moodyman said:
Your Ridegback Panorama / Paul Hewitt & Galaxys are the best bikes for the type of touring that you describe. They'll be comfortable, reasonably fast and can carry plenty. You can enjoy them equally when you're not touring too.

I did wonder about the Sherpa being a bit of a tank for my usage, so thanks for that. I am tempted by the fact that they offer flat handlebars with bar ends though....I tried a Super Galaxy today and drop bars didn't appeal to me straight away, probably get used to them I suppose.

I had sort of decided on the Panorama, which Wifey prefers the price of, but then I found out it would be difficult to fit a bar bag because of the extra brake levers. I would think most tourers use a bar bag so it seems an odd design choice. I called Ridgeback and they say you can remove these levers but it is a bit of a faff.

Shouldn't be this hard to spend Wifeys money really :sad:

jags

Guru
Fandango said:
I saw a Thorn bike while touring recently and nit certainly looked very nice, shame I didn't ask the owner if I could take a spin. It's a bit of a trek to Somerset though....maybe a Somerset tour is in order :-)

fandango it's more of a trek from were i live Ireland:biggrin:
but I'll tell you it's worth taking a trip around different bike stores and trying before you commit yourself,you will know the bike you want when you try it out for yourself.Mind you all my bikes were bought through the internet but i kinda knew what i was looking for, so i wasn't disappointed when they arrieved all shiny and new :sad:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Fandango said:
I had sort of decided on the Panorama, which Wifey prefers the price of, but then I found out it would be difficult to fit a bar bag because of the extra brake levers. I would think most tourers use a bar bag so it seems an odd design choice. I called Ridgeback and they say you can remove these levers but it is a bit of a faff.
There are extended brackets available that move the handlebar bag a bit further out, and you can angle the interrupter levers downwards a bit too.
Ortlieb and Rixen & Kaul Klickfix do bracket extenders, if you get an appropriate bag.

Removing the levers will mean new brake cables and bar tape are required.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

Just in case you wondered...I bought my shiny new Ridgeback Panorama yesterday. The ride seemed better than the Galaxy, and the Sherpa was a long way to go so I didn't.

Had a run today and wow is it faster than my old sit up and beg bike. I reckon 30-50% faster overall, and hills seem no problem at all so I am a happy boy :evil:

Thanks for your help and advice.

Fandango said:
I reckon 30-50% faster overall, and hills seem no problem at all .

Wait til you've got it loaded :sad:

Congrats on your new bike i hope you enjoy it

Simon

Dinks

The Dawes would be agood choice but for variety of size and spec choice, the Thorn Sherpa (Heavy duty world touring) or the Thorn Club Tour (less demanding touring) would both be outstanding bikes. I had a Dawes for many years and it was a good bike, I've ridden the Thorns and loved them. I now have a Thorn (albeit Audax Mk 3) and use it for light camping. Light load: Audax, Medium load: Club Tour, Heavy Load: Sherpa. Here is a review of the Club Tour: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/CP189ClubTourTest_Bike2.pdf

Top Bottom