Touring frame for gear hub wheels ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RufusChucklebutty

Über Member
I'm looking to build a no frills touring bike , where can I get a ( lowest cost ) frame with horizontal dropouts to suit the 26" nexus hub gear wheels I have ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A secondhand steel rigid MTB frame with mountings for mudguards. Most bikes from the late 80's or 90's will make an easy conversion to a tourer.

You need horizontal dropouts or track ends. Don't use a spring chain tensioner.
H dropouts are almost never used on any quality MTB frames. Single speed MTB is your best bet but check that they come with rack, mudguard and water bottle eyelets. You may find some low end ones with H dropouts.
H dropouts are more easily found on touring bikes.

If you are lucky you may find a 26" frame with eccentric bottom bracket such as Scott sub 10 or my own Dahon Cadenza. But old EBB can get corroded and stuck.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You need horizontal dropouts or track ends. Don't use a spring chain tensioner. H dropouts are almost never used on any quality MTB frames.

I've got a pair of 1991 Raleigh MTB frames made from Reynolds 501. I would not class 501 as a cheap frame and the pricing of such bikes when new reflected this. You have to be careful what you mean by quality, too. Are you talking about lightness or build strength, weld finish etc? I've got other horizontal dropout frames made of hi-tensile that are around the 25-30 year old mark. They haven't yet broken and been binned, so in one sense there cant be much wrong with the quality. One is even an Apollo! There are few truly "bad" frames around, if you exclude the really low end stuff with suspension. A rigid Apollo or Universal MTB frame might not be the lightest, or have much kudos, but so long as it hasnt been crashed and bent, there's no reason why one couldn't make a good tourer. Same goes for Raleigh 18-23 hi-tensile models with horizontal dropouts. I've found both the frames and forks to be plenty strong enough to bash around.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you have a bicycle recycling project near you go and have a look at the frames/bikes they have. As @SkipdiverJohn says if you can find a sound steel frame and fork of the right size with horizontal(ish) rear dropouts then you are home.

My last to builds had quality steel frames and forks and cost £10 and £2 respectively!

Good luck and please post pictures!

Top Bottom