Touring/gravel with 2x

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

215biker

Can anyone suggest a bike with lots of mounting bosses, disc brake mounts, room for a 2x drivetrain, and room for 45c tires. I'd settle for 38c if I can get a 50 or 52 big ring and 36 or 38 small ring on there. If it's a complete bike, ideally, I'm looking for drop bars.
Is this possible?
Thanks

tom73

Guru
Sondar range by Alpkit maybe worth a look they can build what set up you like.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm very happy with my Genesis Croix de Fer 30; at the low end of your list re. tyre clearance but ticks the rest of the boxes. Mine's the 2020 model; later ones got even more bosses although they tended to go to smaller chainrings as standard at this point too.

You'll find that most tourers have triples (no bad thing IMO for most applications).

img_3387a-jpg.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you in the US?
If so, the aforementioned options may not be available.
What have you looked at so far?

Can anyone suggest a bike with lots of mounting bosses, disc brake mounts, room for a 2x drivetrain, and room for 45c tires. I'd settle for 38c if I can get a 50 or 52 big ring and 36 or 38 small ring on there. If it's a complete bike, ideally, I'm looking for drop bars.
Is this possible?
Thanks

Surly Disc Trucker?

OP
OP

215biker

Are you in the US?
If so, the aforementioned options may not be available.
What have you looked at so far?

I am in the US. Honestly, I probably won't buy anything in the near future but just dreaming and thinking ahead. Everything I've seen looks like it's built for a 1x or it's a touring bike with a 3x and probably pretty heavy or expensive (not a deal breaker if I can just get a frame), or it doesn't have mounting options/ disc brakes/ tire clearance (basically a road bike). If the surly disc trucker had an option for a 2x and 11-28 10 speed cassette, I'd be real tempted to buy it. Should I just throw a 38 or 40 tooth chainring on a 1x gravel bike and learn to deal with riding slower down hills. That seems to be what the industry is telling me, or buy a quiver of bikes

OP
OP

215biker

I am in the US. Honestly, I probably won't buy anything in the near future but just dreaming and thinking ahead. Everything I've seen looks like it's built for a 1x or it's a touring bike with a 3x and probably pretty heavy or expensive (not a deal breaker if I can just get a frame), or it doesn't have mounting options/ disc brakes/ tire clearance (basically a road bike). If the surly disc trucker had an option for a 2x and 11-28 10 speed cassette, I'd be real tempted to buy it. Should I just throw a 38 or 40 tooth chainring on a 1x gravel bike and learn to deal with riding slower down hills. That seems to be what the industry is telling me, or buy a quiver of bikes

Poseidon redwood also looks awesome if I could put a 2x (I ride on the road mainly and have a rack on my 2010 Fuji cross pro that I use to go to the grocery store and carry anything else I need to under 50-60 lbs

OP
OP

215biker

I'm very happy with my Genesis Croix de Fer 30; at the low end of your list re. tyre clearance but ticks the rest of the boxes. Mine's the 2020 model; later ones got even more bosses although they tended to go to smaller chainrings as standard at this point too.

You'll find that most tourers have triples (no bad thing IMO for most applications).

View attachment 665093

Thanks. That is exactly what I'm looking for

rivers

How far can I go?
Orro Terra X or Terra S would fit the bill. I have a Terra C (carbon version, less mounting points than the aluminium or steel version), and it's a cracking bike

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Have the Orro Terra C as well, its more of a day/weekend gravel bike due to limited luggage carrying capacity. Modified the rear rack fixings using a long QR thro the bolt thro axle and a seat post clamp with bosses for a pannier. The carbon bosses for the rear rack are only rated for 5kg. Have Ekar on mine and I changed the ring from 40 to 38 and also the cassette from the 9 to 42 for the campag adventure version one thats 10 to 44 . With 52/50 and 36/34 chainrings not much use for loaded touring unless you avoid the big hills.

rivers

How far can I go?
Have the Orro Terra C as well, its more of a day/weekend gravel bike due to limited luggage carrying capacity. Modified the rear rack fixings using a long QR thro the bolt thro axle and a seat post clamp with bosses for a pannier. The carbon bosses for the rear rack are only rated for 5kg. Have Ekar on mine and I changed the ring from 40 to 38 and also the cassette from the 9 to 42 for the campag adventure version one thats 10 to 44 . With 52/50 and 36/34 chainrings not much use for loaded touring unless you avoid the big hills.

Which is why I recommended the new steel or aluminium versions- more mounting points/greater capacity. Though I wouldn't hesitate to take my Terra C on a multi-week bikepacking trip. And there are options besides 52/36 and 50/34 (I have a 46/30 with an 11-42 cassette, good for most things). This was a 5 day trip. I wouldn't need much more for a multi-week. Maybe add some fork bags (and perhaps buy the fork with mounting points used on the steel and aluminium versions). Or I could just tow a trailer if really heavily loaded.
299077025_10100290746470205_4108880455308229305_n (1).jpg

Can you put a front derailleur on there? That is my ideal bike if so, but it looks like the chainstays would be too wide for 2 chainrings

I think the gearing is sensible, particularly when you are loaded up - 48-36-26t chainset / 11-34 cassette. If you want to go 2x then a sub-compact 46-30 GRX makes sense but Surly don't offer this. I have got 2x 48-32 and 11-34 on my gravel bike, which is fine but I would want lower gears if touring.

1666186156115.png

Top Bottom