Touring in South Africa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Me and Mrs Uncle Phil are off shortly on a trip to visit her relatives in Fish Hoek, Cape Town and make a relaxed tour (it'll be hot) of some of the Garden Route around the western Cape.

We're taking our Moultons for the trip, and will be using campsites, rondavels, hostels (SA is full of funky independents) and B&Bs for accommodation.

Touring luggage on a Moulton can be a challenge; mine will be carrying a Brompton front bag and panniers. Since its designed to carry neither, these will be on racks I have built myself. I've been using them for a few weeks to try and break the racks and so far have failed, which I think is a good sign...

Mrs Uncle Phil has genuine Moulton bags. I can't find any, and if I could, I couldn't afford them.

We've visited SA a number of times before, and toured SA and Namibia fairly extensively by car; we've also cycled in Kenya (but not very far) so I think we're prepared for most things...

Anyone been there on a bike?

Anyway, watch this space for pictures.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sounds really nice - am well jealous! I'd like to ride around the north west and maybe the west coast, but the money's never enough!

Touring SA

Phil said:
Me and Mrs Uncle Phil are off shortly on a trip to visit her relatives in Fish Hoek, Cape Town and make a relaxed tour (it'll be hot) of some of the Garden Route around the western Cape. Anyone been there on a bike?

Phil, hello, I was deputy leader on a CTC tour there in 2002 I think it was. We had a great trip around the Garden Route, and finished off by taking part in the Cape Argus.

You have been there a number of times before you say, so I'm not sure what I can add to your experience, except we had a great trip, local folk were super and helpful and I'd reccomend it.

bazzerp

Phil - we have visited friends there for the last 4 years & done some the PPA rides at weekends. Love Fish Hoek - spent ages watching 3 otters in the sea 2 years ago, & then went & bought fresh harders from the local netters. We got married on the beach in Langebaan last November - another story !

What is your route ? I guess you will skip Sir Lowrys pass & take a more middle route up country. I think I would be inclined to make use of transport occasionally. Are the relatives cyclists ? I have a spare bike in Kirstenhof.
My favourite ride is to Scarborough beach & round the Cape peninsula.

Its safer than most folks think. Keep us posted

Top Bottom