Touring maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Blasted all the dust off the tent, dont want the zips knackered.

PXL_20230403_094552773.jpg

PXL_20230403_100643770.jpg

froze

Über Member
Ok, so what is your question?

Once you clean the tent don't forget to waterproof spray the tent and fly, and put some seam sealant on the seams. I use Nikwax Tent and Gear Solarproof spray that has waterproofing in it, my tent manufacturer recommended that product, and they also recommended Gear Aid Seam Grip + WP Sealant + Adhesive seam sealant. You need to do this every season, and sometimes twice or three times a season depending on how much rain you're going through.

After a night of downpour rain with high wind, and my old tent failed and leaked like crazy and I got wet, I now wash my sleeping bag with Nikwax Down Proof detergent that waterproofs the bag and the insulation while it washes. So, I'm hoping if I should ever get a leaking tent that I will be dry inside the bag, but at least the stuff made my bag come out clean!

You should be using Gear Aid McNett Zipper Cleaner and Lubricant on your zippers making sure not to get the stuff on the tent fabric. Or cheaper yet, is to rub candle wax on both sides of the zippers, this will lubricate the zips and make them glide but won't damage the fabric of the tent. You need to do this every season.

froze

Über Member
Its a hilleberg no need for that much attention. 😄

Actually, that's not correct, see: https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/blog/hilleberg-tent-care-guide-8c8031-a02de2-b73076-6e20d7/

This is what Hillebert recommends that all their tents while originally treated for UV resistance during dyeing and coating, but the fabrics are lightweight material. If, over time, you feel your tent’s fabric has become UV damaged, you can re-treat it (don’t ever do this on a new tent). Hilleberg recommends using Nikwax Tent & Gear Solar Proof. Set up your tent and wash it with a sponge and lukewarm water. Spray or brush the Tent & Gear SolarProof on the fabric and wipe off any excess liquid. Once the tent has dried it is ready for use. This will reinvigorate the tent’s water repellency and improve protection against UV damage. If the inner of your tent needs reproofing use Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On which works well on fabrics – like those in the inner tents – that need to have both air permeability and water repellency. As with Tent & Gear SolarProof, spray on the TX.Direct, wipe off any excess liquid, then let it dry.

So there you have it, straight from Hillebert tent people.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Its usually dust and grit that kills zips. The inner tent usually goes first as rain washes the zip on the outer.

Top Bottom