touring northern spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mazza

im looking into going on the ferry to santander and i would be intrested to hear from anyone who has been there and what is it like to camp or use hostels as im on a budget and what the cycling like anyone with any ideas of tour would be greatfull receaved

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Cycling the Picos D'Europa is great, with some great climbs such as the Pueto de San Gloria. There are also opportunities for diversions on foot into the hills and gorges on some days for a bit of variety.

The coast road can be a little busy, by there is a cheap local train running in parallel which can be used as an alternative.

Percy

I've ridden all the way along the North coast. Campsites are plentiful but it depends on what time of year you're going as to whether they'll be open or not. There is the option of cheap rooms if you feel like it, more abundant in the larger towns. Roads are generally fine if you stick to the smaller ones as much as possible - where there's the option. There were occassions when it was easier/necessary to use main roads (not motorways), which were of course busier but as long as you're careful there's no problem. They're pretty friendly in that part of the world, fellow cyclists and drivers (in my experience).

Tour ideas - depends how long you're going for, budget, where you're getting the ferry back from etc.

A ride from Santander East through Bilbao and then up the French coast, getting back to the UK via a ferry from St Malo, would be a nice ride. Or, as Tim suggests, venturing into the PIcos would be superb, I expect. Depends what you#re after really.

aqaleigh

mazza said:
im looking into going on the ferry to santander and i would be intrested to hear from anyone who has been there and what is it like to camp or use hostels as im on a budget and what the cycling like anyone with any ideas of tour would be greatfull receaved

hi mazza - when you thinking of going?

I am doing the other way round - ferry to St. Malo down the west of France over the pyrenees and then into North Spain eventually ending up in Costa Blanca

I leave on the 23 July 2009 and am planning on spending around 2 weeks and approx 50 to 80 miles a day

Maybe you'd be interested in doing part or all of the ride with me as i'm currently going it alone

planning on using camping sites - so not too expensive

anyway - wherever and whenever you end up touring that part of the world - have a great time

OP
OP
M

mazza

thanks for the offer but im going in april and your milege is a little high for me but thanks for the offer any way

Top Bottom