Touring on a Specialized Rockhopper disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
You don't have to spend loads on a rack, i have a Rockhopper sl comp with discbrakes and have fittted a rack with no problems. I used 2 cateye sp-6 clamps at £2.50 each http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/sp-6-clamp-265mm-306mm-ec012216?query=cateye sp-6
and a couple of rubber spacers to protect the frame and then clamped the rack to these. The rack is a Tortec tour at £24.99
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tortec/tour-rack-ec005641

th_P1010027.jpg

th_P1010028.jpg

I had no problem fitting it with the disc brakes

th_P1010023.jpg

th_P1010030.jpg

O.k i dont use it for touring, mainly commuting to work and for family picnic days out ( we're out off on one tomorrow !) but i would say it is as strong as any other fittings out there

th_P1010017.jpg

th_P1010016.jpg

hope this helps

jay

willem

Über Member
With all due respect, but those plastic clamps are for a mini light, not a rack with luggage. If you use p clamps, they should be steel, really. As for the rack, this will be ok with light loads, but for heavy duty it really is no match for OMM.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
O.k i agree the clamps might not be strong enough for touring but i said i don't use it for touring, just pootling about and commuting. Metal clamps would be better of course, but as an improvisation it works for me, a stonger rack would still be cheaper than OMM . I thought improvisation was the key, the OP is using a Hardtail mountain bike for touring :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
DeHoody said:
I must say that when looking at all of this equipment the cost does rack up, I only hope after spending out that my first tour is enjoyable.
It is a big expense for someone starting from scratch. One approach could be to take a short tour, say two nights, and staying in Bed and Breakfast places or taking just enough equipment to brew up a cup of tea and eating out at cafes etc. This would be more expensive than self catering of course but would help you to get started into cycle touring. Then you could buy more gear as you become more aware of what is available by comparing kit with others you meet on the road or in campsites.

andym

Über Member
snorri said:
It is a big expense for someone starting from scratch. One approach could be to take a short tour, say two nights, and staying in Bed and Breakfast places or taking just enough equipment to brew up a cup of tea and eating out at cafes etc. This would be more expensive than self catering of course but would help you to get started into cycle touring. Then you could buy more gear as you become more aware of what is available by comparing kit with others you meet on the road or in campsites.

Sound advice. I would definitely do some touring before you invest a whole lot of money in non-cycling kit.

Also there's nothing in the book of rules that says you have to lug cooking equipment and food around with you - you can camp and use the money you save to eat out.

willem

Über Member
The problem with such suggestions is that B&B's and places to eat out are so expensive. Of course that depends on where you sleep and what you eat, but by and large the cost of serious camping gear is about the same as what you spend on accommodation and eating out in only one summer holiday. Economically I would rather buy the gear and try for a summer. If you like it you are done. If you don't like it (hard to imagine), you can keep some of the gear, and sell the rest second hand. Moreover, is there nothing you can borrow?
Willem

OP
OP
D

DeHoody

Über Member
I love the idea of being self sufficient and not having to rely anyone else.

I won't break the bank but also I won't make do with inferior products.

I feel it is important to buy the best quality I can for the major items, tent, sleeping bag etc but will 'find my way' with the other gear, maybe taking a couple of weekend trips to decide on necessities etc.

cutler

There is a new carrier made in New Zealand called a Freeload which will fit on any sort of bike, rear or front suspension included which is apparently the bees knees. Available trough www.groundeffect.co.nz

OP
OP
D

DeHoody

Über Member
I fitted the Old Man Mountain Sherpa rack to my Rockhopper yesterday and the Ortlieb Classic panniers should be with me in a day or two. Having fitted the rack I am a little anxious that my feet may catch the panniers-we shall see.

andym

Über Member
willem said:
The problem with such suggestions is that B&B's and places to eat out are so expensive. Of course that depends on where you sleep and what you eat, but by and large the cost of serious camping gear is about the same as what you spend on accommodation and eating out in only one summer holiday. Economically I would rather buy the gear and try for a summer. If you like it you are done. If you don't like it (hard to imagine), you can keep some of the gear, and sell the rest second hand. Moreover, is there nothing you can borrow?
Willem

Well yes and no. I simply wanted to stress that you don't need to invest a whole load of money in order to start touring. Personally I think it's better to get some miles in rather than wait until you have all the kit.

Weekends away in the UK, staying in a B&B or in youth hostels aren't going to break the bank.

I'm in Andalucia at the moment and Ive been paying on average about 20 euros for a room with private bathroom, usually a TV, and sometimes airconditioning and wifi! you can get a good meal for less than 10 euros.

Yes camping and cooking gear will eventually pay for itself - but the payback period can be longer than you expect. Especially when you factor in wear and tear, losses, and bad buying decisions due to inexperience etc.

OP
OP
D

DeHoody

Über Member
I'm in Andalucia at the moment and Ive been paying on average about 20 euros for a room with private bathroom, usually a TV, and sometimes airconditioning and wifi! you can get a good meal for less than 10 euros.

Hi AndyM,
How long have you been on your current adventure?
How many miles are you doing daily?
What route are you taking/places are you visiting?

battered

Guru
I can recommend the Edin Bike Coop waterproof panniers, They are roll top types, like Ortlieb, and about £60 a pair.

One area where you can do OK is in a camping stove and pans - I got a pan set a couple of years ago from Aldi or Lidl, it's non stick, light, reasonably tough (survived regular climbing trips) and it was £7. It goes well with my Trangia which I bought in (ahem) 1983.

Top Bottom