touring on crete/corfu

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thiswayup

Has anyone been cycle touring around crete or corfu and would you recomend these islands or any of the other islands?.
cheers mick.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
thiswayup said:
Has anyone been cycle touring around crete or corfu and would you recomend these islands or any of the other islands?.
cheers mick.
When I was on holiday in Corfu about 12 years ago I hired a bike and rode about in the northern part of the island. The trouble was, I couldn't find a decent map. The locals kept trying to sell me another copy of the crap one I already had. I was trying to explain to a shopkeeper that the map was terrible, but he insisted that it was perfectly okay. His fairly large village wasn't on the map and neither was the busy road that we were standing on!

It was very warm when I was there in early May. I wouldn't fancy it in August!

Despite the fact that the hire bike didn't fit me and was as crap as the maps, I did enjoy the cycling that I did there. I did not enjoy the mozzies but they seemed to enjoy me!

There was one particular climb that I really liked but I'm struggling to remember where it was. It was certainly not too far from Paleokastritsa. The climb had numerous hairpin bends. I think I counted 30 and I hadn't got to the top when a thunderstorm started brewing up. I decided to head back down to lower ground so I'm not sure how much higher the climb went. If I'd had a decent map, I could have told you!

Hang on, I'll see if Google Maps can help... Nope! That's what I mean - I can see roads on the satellite photographs but Google doesn't have any detail for them. It's probably a security matter to stop the Turks finding out where everything is! xx(

One thing that did piss me off was over-aggressive selling in some of the villages I rode through. People were walking out in the road to try and sell me things. I bought a jar of honey and a bottle of wine and about 50 metres on someone else would try and sell me the same kind of goods, telling me that what I had was poor quality. In the end, I got fed up with it and just swerved round them and carried on!

Top Bottom