Touring, online accounts and the potential problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
You might like to upgrade to a KeePass-based solution. LastPass has shown itself to be just one more insecure commercial single point of failure:
LastPass Data Breach: It’s Time to Ditch This Password Manager | WIRED – https://www.wired.com/story/lastpass-breach-vaults-password-managers/

No thanks.

I understand why you are suggesting it, but Lastpass has too many advantages over Keepass for me.

First is the simple fact that is what the company I work for uses, and I can link my personal account so that I have access to my own passowrds from the same interface as my work ones.

Secondly is the fact that from all the reviews I read, Lastpass is much better from the POV of autofilling user & password fields. And out of eth box browser integratiuon, you apparently need to addcplugins to keepass for those.

Then it also offers multifactor authentication, which Keepass doesn't.

And I think it is more portable - provided I have my phone with me and can remember my master password, I can access it from anywhere, while Keepass stores the data either on your local device, or in a cloud service which you have to set up.

The first is the most important of those factors for me, but all of them are significant.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good idea. I think I would risk having some written on paper and stashed somewhere amongst my things too.

Up a bar end or seat post!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
First is the simple fact that is what the company I work for uses,
Your company uses a password manager with a history of leaking passwords? Yikes!

Then it also offers multifactor authentication, which Keepass doesn't.
It does. I use it for some sites, but it's worth remembering that you need multifactor login to access an online password manager that stores such tokens, else you reduce the end service to single-factor login (albeit two things you know).

The other drawbacks seem fair comment, but I consider them smaller problems than leaking passwords. I'm also doubtful that lastpass doesn't need browser plugins but I may have misunderstood.

Sallar55

Veteran
Anyone else using 2phones, old one with a local sim and your normal one . Unusual to loose both.

Screenshot_20230321-175044.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm planning my next trip and want a back up plan if I lose or smash my phone.

I'll be alone, don't usually take a device other than my phone. I plan to carry enough cash to get me back to the ferry and will have printouts of the ferry booking.

My first thought is to buy a cheapie PAYG phone as a back up, link my accounts to it and store it separately from my main phone.

Does that make sense? Would that cover most eventualities?

Sorry I haven't reread all through this thread.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
My first thought is to buy a cheapie PAYG phone as a back up, link my accounts to it and store it separately from my main phone.

Does that make sense? Would that cover most eventualities?
The long answer is that it depends........
The shorter answers is that, yes, that should be good, so long as you have the appropriate apps already installed, and most importantly, accessed, on your new phone.

The longer answer involves just what you want to have access to and to ensure that your PAYG works overseas (if bought at home).* Check also that the operating system is compatible with what you might need to work. For example, my banking app will only allow one active version at any one time. Having a working copy on a second phone makes the "usual" app dormant on my main phone. Or an app, like Osmand, will require a certain minimum operating system and you will need to download appropriate maps in advance.

* You may not actually need a sim card. WiFi access will probably be enough. Most places will have decent Wifi so stopping for a coffee will most likely be enough, although as a belt and braces guy, I can understand the desire to have one.

My best advice is to take your new phone and use it as you would expect to use it if your original was lost or stolen before you depart. If it works as you want, then you're pretty much good to go.
Handy hint (if using Google or another cloud storage service) is to screenshot any reservations (as photos) so that you can access them as needed on either device. A handy way to have backups of passport etc. If you have a Kindle it's also possible to send them to your Kindle too.

On a tangent, if looking at a second phone it's no harm to consider their photographic qualities. Some phones are better than others.

Good luck!

Top Bottom