Touring Spain North to South - Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seano

Great Ttrip and report Pdiaz. Unfortunatly I'm not so good at remembering the details due to the oldsimers but the forum might be interested in my C 2 C this year from Biaritz to Malaga in photos. Unfortunatly the weather was not the best however I would recommend the route. see www.seanoreilly.4t.com or give me a call for further info.

tonych

Regular
i realise this is quite an old (but good) conversation.

I would like to do this route in nov/dec (next week start!) - i am a little concerned about the weather.

Does anyone have any information or personal reference to weather through this route over nov/dec?

thanks
Tony

lulubel

Über Member
I would like to do this route in nov/dec (next week start!) - i am a little concerned about the weather.

Does anyone have any information or personal reference to weather through this route over nov/dec?

You'll need layers and waterproofs (and a good winter sleeping bag if you're camping, which I wouldn't recommend).

At high altitude, it will probably be below freezing at night. Day time temperatures will vary. If it's dry and sunny, it can get quite warm, especially in the far south, and if you're acclimatised to the UK, you could be in shorts and short sleeves by mid-morning/afternoon. There's also a reasonable chance of rain, which can be horizontal and cold, and you could also get cold winds without the rain.

You need to be prepared for anything - rather like a UK summer.

tonych

Regular
Thanks for the reply - i am thinking of camping (somewhere?) - so looks like a couple of extra clothes and a decent waterproof on the list then (and a hidden credit card just in case)

Hopefully heading out this thursday to follow the original route on this post. (just found out my stove and thermarest need replacing... :smile: )

cheers
Tony

MarkF

Guru
Hi Tony, your body will be in UK winter mode, you will be fine all day, everywhere. I was in Barcelona last week, it was 15c and raining, anything more than a T-Shirt on had me sweating as I rode around.

Sent you a link with some camping tips.

lulubel

Über Member
Hi Tony, your body will be in UK winter mode, you will be fine all day, everywhere. I was in Barcelona last week, it was 15c and raining, anything more than a T-Shirt on had me sweating as I rode around..

Barcelona is near the coast and low altitude, though, so it will be warmer than the high altitude areas in the middle of the country. Also, if you were in the sun, 15C and sunny is very different from 15C in the shade. There's still a lot of heat in the sun here, even in winter, and it's deceptive, as we've found out through living here.

Take a look at the current forecasts (late November) for Leon or Salamanca, for example (both on Pedro's route). They're showing night temperatures of around or below freezing, and daytime temperatures barely out of single figures. When we drove down across the middle of Spain 3 years ago, in the middle of October, the temperature at 9am when we left our overnight stop near Burgos was 2C. Even for someone acclimatised to the UK, it was cold!

You also have to be aware that Spain can get "cold snaps". Two years ago, we had a few days of 0-5C at the beginning of December, right down here on the southern coast.

I'm not suggesting the trip is a bad idea, but getting caught out by cold and/or wet weather when you're not prepared for it is a very miserable experience.

MarkF

Guru
I was putting some perspective on it and allying any fears that he may have had, it's not like he's setting off to Hammerfest.

Of course he needs to have wet weather protection, I got caught in a rainstorm in June near Reinosa, but I can't see him having cold problems apart from Leon (ish), once he's coming down from there he should be south of Salamanca just a day later.

I hope he takes plenty of pics. :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
Of course he needs to have wet weather protection, I got caught in a rainstorm in June near Reinosa, but I can't see him having cold problems apart from Leon (ish), once he's coming down from there he should be south of Salamanca just a day later.

I was putting it from the perspective of someone who lives in Spain, and knows that it isn't all the country that you see on the holiday programmes (which a lot of people tend to think - quite naturally). We lived at 700 metres our first winter here, and we had whole days in December/January where the temperature didn't get above freezing. That's fine if you're prepared for it, but if you've only got clothes and sleeping bags suitable for 10C+, you're going to have a pretty unpleasant time.

tonych

Regular
Hi Mark & Lulubel,

Thanks to both of you for the different views on this.

I intend to be camping (but will need the odd shower) so i guess as the temperature drops as i go up the hotels will be more seductive.
I am OK in cold and wet (just wet for days is grim).

Mark - read your about trip thanks for that!

Hopefully i will put the pics and a bit of a review up somewhere when i get back.

keep biking!

cheers
Tony

tonych

Regular
Hi Mark & Lulubel,

well i completed the Spain leg - took a hideous amount of photos (will find somewhere to put them on here later).
it was wet and cold (-5 camping in the hills is fine with the right gear - but tricky to get started in a morning!)
P1080988.JPG

I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip - and am just contemplating going further - to Marrakesh.

Looking at heading over on the ferry on Tuesday and flying back to the UK just before xmas - anyone done Tangier to Marrakesh out there with any advice or routes?

regards
Tony

lulubel

Über Member
I was thinking of you, Tony, when we had that really cold spell. That camping spot looks beautiful, if a little chilly!

I'm glad you enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing more photos.

I haven't been to Morocco, so can't comment there. It might be worth starting another thread for it because I think there are at least a couple of people on here who have been.

tonych

Regular
The pic above is beside a quiet road 10km or so outside Salamanca, i had to go through a damaged gate into a grassed disused area of someones small holding. (this was a rarity that i was glad to find).
I have to say, coming through Spain with the fences right beside the road (well - beside the drainage ditch beside the road) with those black/white "Privado Caza de cota...." signs everywhere - is the hardest place i have ever been to wild camp (I don't make or leave any mess behind whatsoever) - and apart from the campsite on the North side of El Torcal i didn't see one other formal camping place at all. (and as that was the start of my last day i didn't stay there.)

I didn't expect that - was hoping to camp most nights.

On the other hand there are numerous Hostals to stay in quite reasonably (never tried a Pension or Mason).

No1 reason not to jump a fence and wild camp
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20775197/P1090672.JPG
P1090672.JPG

Packing up
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20775197/P1090004.JPG
P1090004.JPG

leaving time
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20775197/P1090010.JPG
P1090010.JPG

cheers
Tony

lulubel

Über Member
Do you mean coto deportivo de caza?

That's just a sign saying game hunting is restricted in the area.

Coto privado de caza and coto intensivo de caza are slight variations on the same theme.

None of the signs are saying camping isn't allowed there, but they're not saying it is either, and as with any wild camping, the landowner could come along at any time and say he doesn't want you there.

Top Bottom