Touring tyre help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

Tim Bennet. said:
Another vote for Panaracer Paselas. Used them for years with no problems.

700x32c is as big as you need to go for touring.

Edit: The muppets seem to have discontinued the 32s. Pity as they were perfect. I should think the 28s are a bit thin. Probably try the 35s if that's the choice. Maybe somone else has got some NOS 32s.

Tim, they changed these a year or two back. The old 32 was ridiculously undersized for a 32 (it was more like a 28.5). As far as I can see that tyre is now sold as a slightly generous 28.

Either way it's a brilliant tyre. At 300g it's half the weight of these touring behemoths and almost as tough (although it does tend to look like its falling apart quite quickly, even if it isn't).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
twowheelsgood said:
Tim, they changed these a year or two back. The old 32 was ridiculously undersized for a 32 (it was more like a 28.5). As far as I can see that tyre is now sold as a slightly generous 28.

Either way it's a brilliant tyre. At 300g it's half the weight of these touring behemoths and almost as tough (although it does tend to look like its falling apart quite quickly, even if it isn't).

I've used nothing else for several years now. Due to lapse in the routine maintainance of my bike, I reckon that I rode a 120km Audax with the rear tyre down to canvas - a recently fitted bottom bracket dynamo had accelerated tread wear.....

bonj2

without reading too much into it, it might be 'cos theyr'e 26" and your bike's 700c (or wiggle have assumed your bike is 700c)

twowheelsgood

vernon said:
I've used nothing else for several years now. Due to lapse in the routine maintainance of my bike, I reckon that I rode a 120km Audax with the rear tyre down to canvas - a recently fitted bottom bracket dynamo had accelerated tread wear.....

The version I buy here has a black sidewall, it seems to hold the tyre together better and of course the sides don't stain with brake crud and oil.

I do check for obvious defects but I find that when worn out it's pretty easy to tell because they start puncturing quite regularly. In fact the last set didn't punture once in normal use until completely knacked.

As I said before great tyre. I can't understand why so many use those 600g+ clunkers on their commuters. As a bonus too the flexible sidewalls mean a better ride than the heavyweights.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
twowheelsgood said:
The version I buy here has a black sidewall, it seems to hold the tyre together better and of course the sides don't stain with brake crud and oil.

I do check for obvious defects but I find that when worn out it's pretty easy to tell because they start puncturing quite regularly. In fact the last set didn't punture once in normal use until completely knacked.

As I said before great tyre. I can't understand why so many use those 600g+ clunkers on their commuters. As a bonus too the flexible sidewalls mean a better ride than the heavyweights.

I normally check for obvious defects every few weeks but hadn't factored in the accelerated wear because of the dynamo. I'd done three 100km Audaxes in the previous week and each of them involved a couple of hours of riding with the dynamo.

The rear tyre to its credit had not punctured once before its removal. Mine have the amber sidewalls.

Their flexible sidewalls make a better ride for this heavyweght :thumbsup:

Top Bottom