Touring tyre help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony

My Galaxy was supplied with 700x32, and I stayed with those for years. Before my trip to Oz, I asked in the LBS and took up their advice for 28's, which are considerably smaller then the 32's. They are M+ Schwalbes, the ones with the anti-fairy band round the running surface, and come up a little bigger than other 28's. 1000 miles without problem in Oz, including a lot of unmade roads. Less comfortable, but quicker, than the 32's. I wouldn't like to go any amaller on those rims, but did run a 36 for a while on the rear when my tyre failed big style in Spain, and that was the smallest I could buy.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

which tyres do you have on your bike Brock mate?

Brock

I used continental 700x28 ultragators for a year or so, much faster than the Marathon plus I have now, but I had so many punctures I could'nt possibly recommend them. Others do though!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..so I could go with M+'s with a smaller width...say 28...which would speed things up, keep the puncture resistance and reduce the weight a little from my 32's...or go with the continental sport contacts...

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..I am leaning towards just getting some 28 marathon+'s...cant really go wrong there I suppose...dunno...will they be any quicker though....I dont suppose I'll ever really know until I fit them.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

or maybe I might go with wiggle advice and get these in a 28:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...Schwalbe Marathon Reflective Kevlar Belt Tyre

...they are cheaper..hmm....somebody make my mind up for me!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Brock said:
The Panaracer Paselas maybe an option if you can stomach brown sidewalls?

I ran these on my old bike - I was impressed with them, they seem to roll well, and the unplanned deflation protection worked well on the commute. They have a bit of a tread pattern on them (as I recall) so should handle loose stuff slightly better than a slick.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
I've got spesh nimbus armadillos on my tourer. No punctures in about 700 miles, including some pretty nasty roads in India. Might be worth investigating?

I found the Armadillos totally unsatisfactory. All three of the ones that I purchased delaminated i.e. the thick rubber central tread debonded from the tyre carcase. One delaminated at the front and two at the rear.

To be fair, I don't recall suffering any punctures with them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Brock said:
I'd suggest looking for 700x28s, it'll be a significant change from your 32s, but should still be reasonable for touring.
The Panaracer Paselas maybe an option if you can stomach brown sidewalls?

I'm a convert to Panaracer Paselas. I've used them for the past two years. I use 700c x 28 on my Galaxy and 700c x 25 on my road bike. I've had very few punctures in the past couple of years and these usually occur towards the end of the tyres' lives when the tread is quite thin.

I'd not worry about the brown sidewalls you can barely see them when you're pedalling ;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
vernon said:
I found the Armadillos totally unsatisfactory. All three of the ones that I purchased delaminated i.e. the thick rubber central tread debonded from the tyre carcase. One delaminated at the front and two at the rear.

To be fair, I don't recall suffering any punctures with them.

Thanks for the warning...I'll keep an eye on them!!

domtyler

Über Member
Might be worth remembering that on tour you will on the bike for hours every day for X weeks. Is that really the time to sacrifice comfort for a slight increase in speed?

Top Bottom