Touring Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodss

Veteran
Although I will probably ask my LBJ to sort me out I would welcome some general advice so I have a handle on what I am being told. The tyres now are 25-622 (700-25C) My bike with a Bob Jackson frame was used for Triathlons but I have now had the gears changed for touring and added rear panniers. It works fine.

I have read a few tyre posts on here and have the feeling I need a wider tyre with more tread. An Elite Vet but more of a runner and swimmer so I am not very knowledgeable on bikes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's really a case of what tyres will fit the clearances of your frame.
Have a look at the gap between your current tyre and the brake/fork crown/brake bridge, and make an estimate of how much bigger a tyre will fit, given that you have to leave a mud/safety gap, and possibly for mudguards too. On most modern racing frames, 25mm is about the limit.

For touring, 32mm is about ideal, if it fits - big enough that you don't have to have them too hard for comfort, wide enough for use on tracks, but still narrow enough to make a decent speed.

Touring on a reasonably robust training tyre is fine - Conti Gatorskin or Panaracer Pasela would be popular choices in the 25mm tyre range. They will be slow on rougher tracks, but fine on tarmac.

OP
OP
D

dodss

Veteran
Thanks Andrew, I have looked and there is enough clearance at the fork bridge to take a wider tyre.

Top Bottom