Touring UK bikes and trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

Has anyone used Trains much for hoping around the country
how have you found British rail,
do they put your bike in the cargo carriage ?

any info useful

thanks

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hope is always factor on UK trains. Sorry couldn't resist. On subject, I have never had the same experience twice. Sometimes great others very anti attitudes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not many cargo carriages left on English and Welsh trains now! Mainly the old diesel High Speed Trains. Scotland has been refurbishing them but I don't know if they kept the cargo area. I've no idea what happens in Northern Ireland.

It's mostly ok but check before you go to see which require reservations, which have few spaces and which train operators use those stupid ceiling hooks. https://plusbike.info Is official, https://cycle.travel/advice/cycling_by_train and http://www.atob.org.uk/bike-rail/uk-bikes-on-trains-travel-guide/ are independent guides.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's hugely, hugely variable depending on the train operator but the links posted by MJR are a good way to check. Doing little 30 minute / 40 mile day trips near me is easy (I'm on Great Northern and they allow unlimited bikes outside of rush hour, I tend to get the train heading away from London at about ten am and then ride home from wherever, no need for a reservation).

Longer distances are usually slightly trickier (requiring a reservation in advance) but the resources above set the situation out comprehensively. There are one or two backward operators but the majority are bike friendly and largely speaking it's very pleasant to combine bike and train and extend your horizons a bit.
Cargo vans have gone the way of the dodo pretty much, but most modern trains have a few bike parking racks or spaces. On the commuter trains near me you just use the door area.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
any info useful
Anyone who has taken their bike on a few of the many rail companies operating within the UK could probably write a book about their experiences. It's an ever changing scene as companies change their rolling stock and conditions of carriage with regard to bicycles.
You would need to specify the particular services you are proposing to use in order to get useful and current information.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Aaaah fond memories of the train I used to catch back home when I was working up north in a zoo. 9 times out of ten had a cargo van I could wheel the bike onto and have a friendly chat with the conductor. Until one had a faulty wheel bearing and caught fire mid journey that is...
I don’t think I’d take my bike on a train now with those weird little corporate areas for bikes, think it just advertises where the bikes are for the local scrotes to lift them. Ymmv

I don’t think I’d take my bike on a train now with those weird little corporate areas for bikes, think it just advertises where the bikes are for the local scrotes to lift them. Ymmv
corporate areas?
Have I been missing free drinks?
On Avanti west coast the area with the bikes can only be opened by the train staff.
Avanti are excellent with bikes - at least on the Pendolinos.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
corporate areas?
Have I been missing free drinks?
On Avanti west coast the area with the bikes can only be opened by the train staff.
Avanti are excellent with bikes - at least on the Pendolinos.
Ah in which case my point is put to bed! I liked the cargo vans bit as only the staff had access to it, and my commute back then seemed to take in a route past a prison or the like that a lot of recently released seemed to get on! There are a fair few stories from that commute I can guarantee you.
Last time I took my bike on a train there was a little stand by the toilet and the sliding door, far away from where you would sit, just made me think “nope not doing this again...”
Mind you that was probably over ten years ago.
Don’t think you have missed out on drinks, one of the conductors did offer me a brew on the cargo van once tho...

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

thanks for the replies
last time i took a bike on a train was 1985 lol
i was just thinking it would open a door , hop on a train go explore a area ...thought some may have experience modern day
never really areas would be different ,
guess im better off calling into the station next time im in a area and ask ,

hooks on ceilings 🤔mm times have changed , i guess il be starting with Chester / Wales area

OP
OP
Shropshire65LW

Shropshire65LW

Not many cargo carriages left on English and Welsh trains now! Mainly the old diesel High Speed Trains. Scotland has been refurbishing them but I don't know if they kept the cargo area. I've no idea what happens in Northern Ireland.

It's mostly ok but check before you go to see which require reservations, which have few spaces and which train operators use those stupid ceiling hooks. https://plusbike.info Is official, https://cycle.travel/advice/cycling_by_train and http://www.atob.org.uk/bike-rail/uk-bikes-on-trains-travel-guide/ are independent guides.
great thanks for that

Cymro74

Wales is pretty poor for bikes, and bookings don't seem to help. Maybe on a quiet Sunday you could be ok, but generally not worth it. Heart of Wales line may be ok out of season as it isn't a commuting route.
One gripe with Wales is there is no checking of bookings. So when I had a cycle bookin from Bangor to Cardiff I couldn't fit my bike into the space due to non-booked bikes. Later in journey more unbooked bikes arrived, all pushed against mine, leading to damaged derailleur and paintwork.

Wales is pretty poor for bikes, and bookings don't seem to help. Maybe on a quiet Sunday you could be ok, but generally not worth it. Heart of Wales line may be ok out of season as it isn't a commuting route.
One gripe with Wales is there is no checking of bookings. So when I had a cycle bookin from Bangor to Cardiff I couldn't fit my bike into the space due to non-booked bikes. Later in journey more unbooked bikes arrived, all pushed against mine, leading to damaged derailleur and paintwork.
that sounds like a totally crap system, or rather none. How many bikes do they allow on each train - can you put them around the train, in door lobbies etc?

Cymro74

Very variable. Some carriages have bike storage some not. Some guards allow you to stand in walkway others not. Policy also prevents travel in and around Cardiff during office hours, which limits commuting opportunity.

Top Bottom