Touring with a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah! What does he weigh?

Used to see a bloke taking his small dog on the back of his recumbent in a box. Out for a walk, then back in the box; but touring. That's some serious weight in dog and food. Even if you do it, I would've thought you'd need to upgrade your brakes as a minimum.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
he wont keep still ong enoug to weigh him, but it's going to be what it is whatever it is...all he needs is food, water, lead and a collar. He did go in a trailer once in Germany but he didnt like it much and tried to escape...I'm wondering if he could be trained to accept it somehow.

It's just a thought really...SWMBO will need to stamp his release papers first.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
If he won't sit still long enough to be weighed he's not going to sit still in a trailer is he? Could mean some interesting handling!

I overcame this problem with my dog by having SWMBO ride behind the trailer and talk to the dog. The dog found this to be very comforting and after a couple of rides really enjoys a day out on the trailer.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I carry my 20kg mutt in a trailer sometimes. But not too far.

The questions is, what will the dog get out of it? If he ends up spending most of each day in the trailer, will he enjoy it? If not, maybe he's better off at home looking after the Missus?

Or take him walking instead - then at least he's getting on under his own steam. Mind you, long-distance walking with a dog can be logistically difficult too.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

...i think he'd love it...outside all day, new places, extra tit bits etc....I'd stop a lot more frequently for him to do his stuff....the problem I can forsee would be in the tent....hmmm....yep thats where things would get territorial....but otherwise it could be fun I reckon...could company as well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BigonaBianchi said:
...a four legged one I mean...:smile:

Just a crazy thought but I wondered if I might take off when the sun re appears next year with muttley...perhaps in a trailer? here he is:
http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldralieghladiesbike003fp7.flv

...any reasons why this isnt a cool idea?

You are right it is a crazy thought. The pooch looks very lively and not the sort to enjoy being cooped up in a bouncing enclosure for five or so hours per day for several days/weeks.

Look at it from your dog's point of view. What makes you think that (s)he would enjoy the experience.?

Do you intend to share your tent with the pooch?

Are you both willing to sniff each others farts in a confined space? ;)

Does your pooch have dog breath?

Will you end up smelling like a dog?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lots of dog trips on crazyguy. Put 'dog' in the search engine.

yoyo

Mr Yoyo keeps imagining the pains he will feel in his..... at the thought of touring. I may resort to taking my devoted pooch on my travels instead. It is not an unusual sight on the continent seeing dogs in bicycle baskets - whether baskets and bianchis go together may be another story!

What a lovely dog, BOAB!

Years ago at Tandemania, we saw a couple with a black lab in a Burley child-trailer on the back of their tandem.
They'd trained him to jump out on command every time they came to a hill, run behind until the top and then jump back in again.

That seemed excellent - they'd got him with them, weren't having to lug him up hills, he was getting the exercise but only running short distances at a speed he could manage.

Would take a bit of training though, and I'd be worried about traffic...

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

..ok...after much effort he qweighs in at 10kilos ish....but he is capable of eating his body weight every day easily!

Traffic is going to be a problem...I cant run the risk of him jumping out under a truck. I'd need a reinforced ground sheet as he has sharp claws. I'd need to carry extra water for him. But in a trailer that shouldnt be as heavy as in panniers right?

Forget training him to do anything, he is to dumb....unless he gets food and then he becomes highly 'adaptable'. One concern is that if I do have any issues like a broken bike or illness etc things could be difficult to handle....also what do i do with him when I have to shop etc....I'd be scared to tie him outside in case he got stolen...which he would be around here I am sure....

Debby

Hi,
I did a lot of touring with my old dog before he died and it was great. He was a collie dog which was perfect for the running and the training side. I adapted my old Bob trailer in the following ways:
I extended the carrying space over its rear wheel using the mud guard stays as support.
I cable tied the foam pipe insulation over the metal work where the dogs head rested (around the front of the trailer)

He was very well trained (easy with a collie!) and responded to commands for which side of the bike to run, and of course up!

He loved the trailer and sometimes if I stopped at a junction he would jump into the trailer on his own!

My son (not even a teenager for many trips) took a reasonable amount of weight and I also had panniers on my bike.

Big issues were the dogs fitness and sore pads.
nowadays you can get dog booties! which i would highly recommend. we made do with old socks and gaffa tape.
We off road cycle tour and had some great adventures in wales, scotland, orkneys, and the north and south downs. + lots more other little local trips!

we met some interesting people cos of the dog, but found it difficult if you did want to stay on a campsite. We mainly wild camped anyway, but be prepared.

some other things to remember:
Get a tent with a porch - no muddy feet then inside!
Dog food - get dried food which is designed for active dogs (I carried about 5 days worth at a time but it was often difficult to replace it with high calorie types!)

I wish he was still alive, he was great company on the trips and I would highly recommend taking a dog in the uk. Rabies jabs need to be done I think 3 or 6 months before departure - check with your vet.
oh yes I also clipped him to a medium length haired dog and I waterproofed a dog coat for him as trying to warm up a wet cold dog is not much fun for him or you!

Have fun, we did!

Top Bottom