Tourists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
That’s a good observation. Despite all the stuff that Merkins like (History! Quaint!! Religion!!!) most of our visitors are from Europe and increasingly China and Japan.

No special evidence and almost certainly an oversimplification, but I get the impression that most Americans tend to follow tick-list tours of Europe, rather than focus on a particular country or region. So for the Uk, they tend to hit one or more of that London, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford and Edinburgh and bugger the rest.
Not in public?

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'd quite enjoy seeing some Americans around here. It could be quite entertaining.:smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm with Reiver. Economics is good, but surely as a society we should be placing what's left of the environment ahead of tourism income in the importance stakes?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Meanwhile the British tourists in Spain, or more correctly, one Britain is complaining there are too many Spaniards in her Spanish hotel.
How dare they stay in their own hotels!
http://www.travelweekly.com.au/arti...nish-hotel-has-too-many-spanish-people-in-it/

That is an amusing headline but is a typical media distort focusing on one aspect of her complaints - with mobility issues her and her friend were also too high up on the hotel's 14th floor and the area itself was too hilly etc. Plus crap in the swimming pool is not high on my list of holiday pre-requisites. xx(

Nonetheless I have come across whinging and whining on these lines whilst abroad. In Goa many years ago Lovely Wife and I had the misfortune to sit at a table in the wonderful Bob's Bar (complete with rats scurrying about in the banana/palm leaf overhead canopy) having to listen to a complete oink create a scene as there were no English options on the (wonderfully varied and authentic) menu. Him and his family were eventually asked to leave which they did whilst he continued his rant. :wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 5354693, member: 9609"]it has been estimated that Tourism now accounts for 10% of all CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere.
Tourism is now producing more CO2 than the entirety of all the CO2 being released into the atmosphere around the 1940s.

it is a major problem and should not be encouraged.[/QUOTE]
Yes there are environmental problems associated with mass tourism... but rather than using them to discourage tourism, we should encourage everyone to cycle to their desired tourist hotspot :okay:

subaqua

What’s the point
Cornwall was much busier in places this year. Yes I know I am a tourist this year .. but not next year

Drago

Legendary Member
Dear rest of the World,

This used to be Britain, until a third became under the sea, a third scorched dry, and the remainng third trampled to oblivion by tourists.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 5354307, member: 9609"]during the summer months the once wonderful Northumberland coast as far north as Bamberg has now been lost to the tourist hoards. been really bad this year[/QUOTE]
:ohmy: Mebbe Craster, Seahouses, Bamburgh, Holy Island and whatnot, but Druridge is as lovely as ever, Ross Sands and so on.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Chinese tourists (I presume it is mainly Chinese you are talking about) spend more than £1bn in UK every year and it's growing fast. All this goes into the UK economy, creating jobs for locals

Maybe the residents of a heritage honeypot like Cambridge should put more pressure on their elected representatives to sort out stuff like parking as Cambridge no doubt benefits from a decent chunk of that £1bn

Cambridge locals have been grumbling about it for ages. Things don’t happen fast in Cambridge. Not unless the university say so.

matiz

Guru
Every single day
IMG-20180728-WA0005.jpg

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I live in a small coastal town which is quite popular with visitors. It seems extremely weather dependent and mostly "day trippers" from the less attractive areas nearby. Most come by car, then spend an hour in the gridlock before finding a pavement on which to abandon their car. If they didn't insist on parking within 100 yards of the river, they would find loads of parking spaces, but that would involve actually having to walk...
Having managed to wrench themselves away from the car, next stop is the chip shop, or for the wealthy ones - Nardini's ice cream. Then a wander down the prom to feed the seagulls (despite the signs asking them no to do so). Half an hour later, boredom has set in and the lure of some publicity hungry talentless prat on the evening TV sends them back to the car and another battle with the traffic to get home. Why??
Relentlessly positive, as ever.

Top Bottom