Tourney groupset upgrade to Caris/Sora: is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
An issue for me and the Airlite is that my amazing and fantastic wife bought it for me by paying it off over several months after my post was cut at work. The shop kept it boxed out back until it was paid for in dribs and drabs. She thought having a bike would be good for me, so I have some emotional attachment to it. I'm also a leisure and recreational cyclist. I have just come across this interesting point of view about the tourney and claris groupset on Youtube.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhBtGSmx6w

I'm wondering now if I can just convert the Airlite to 8 ring cassette from the current 7.

GlenBen

Über Member
I forgot to add, the other option you have is to just put a bigger cassette on the back, something like an 11-32.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...m_dm|pcrid|161811237292|pkw||pmt||prd|18192UK

Thatll make the most difference in getting you up the hills.

GlenBen

Über Member
Thats a reason im quite familiar with myself, ive been using a 'rubbish' bike for years for a similar reason and i wouldnt swap it for any other bike.

7 and 8 speed are compatible, but the easy answer for you is no. A 7 speed shifter wont shift 8 cogs on the back and the shifter is the most expensive part to switch.

Are you wanting to keep costs down or improve the performance as much as you cam?

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
Thats a reason im quite familiar with myself, ive been using a 'rubbish' bike for years for a similar reason and i wouldnt swap it for any other bike.

7 and 8 speed are compatible, but the easy answer for you is no. A 7 speed shifter wont shift 8 cogs on the back and the shifter is the most expensive part to switch.

Are you wanting to keep costs down or improve the performance as much as you cam?
I'm hoping for easier hill climbs rather than having to walk the bike up some of them. As a recreational rider I'm not too fussed about speed, time trials and so forth.

GlenBen

Über Member
In that case, id go for just getting a 11/12-32 cassette in 7 speed.

The more teeth it has, the easier the gear is. Adding another cog to the rear wont make hills any easier.

I did a quick google and it looks like you have 25 on your biggest rear cog? Not the easiest of gears so a 32 would make quite an impact. Theyre not the easiest thing to find, but shimano do hg200 that goes up to 32 tooth. Id give that a try at least before spending hundreds on a new groupset and wheels.

Hope that helps, or even makes sense.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

The more teeth it has, the easier the gear is. Adding another cog to the rear wont make hills any easier.

I did a quick google and it looks like you have 25 on your biggest rear cog? Not the easiest of gears so a 32 would make quite an impact. Theyre not the easiest thing to find, but shimano do hg200 that goes up to 32 tooth. Id give that a try at least before spending hundreds on a new groupset and wheels.

I'd think an 11-32 would be pushing the capacity of the rear mech but a 12-28 should fit OK, that would give you 1 gear lower for climbing but would not have stupid 'gaps' between gears on a 7 speed.

GlenBen

Über Member
I run 32 on my tourney derailluer ok. I just stuck it on and hoped though, no idea if its supposed to fit or not.

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular

It's not easy to find specs for the Airlite 100: 2014 STI Limited Edition, but this link may indicate the cassette on the bike:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/150814/products/raleigh-airlite-100-limited-edition-road-bike.aspx

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
It's not easy to find specs for the Airlite 100: 2014 STI Limited Edition, but this link may indicate the cassette on the bike:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/150814/products/raleigh-airlite-100-limited-edition-road-bike.aspx
Is this what I'm looking for ?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ain-cables/sram-pg-730-7-speed-cassette-12-32

si_c

Guru
Standard tourney derailleur has always been a long cage one on bikes I've seen. I'd also suggest that it's a freewheel rather than a free hub.

@stevenfarthing you can check this by looking at the rear hub in your wheel. If it is fatter on the gear side between the spokes then it is a cassette, if it is the same on both sides then it's a freewheel.

The good news if it's a freewheel is that getting a 7 speed 14-28 for around £20 fitted by your local bike shop.

GlenBen

Über Member
That should do @stevenfarthing.

According to that link you posted, its a cassette, not a freewheel. Always worth checking though as @si_c says. Its one of those phrases that are so often wrong on descriptions.

simon.r

Person
I just stuck it on and hoped though, no idea if its supposed to fit or not.

That's what we all did before the days of the internet. I sometimes wonder if the ability (via Google) to find out if something's "right" or not has lessened our propensity to just "try it and see". And, by extension, lessened our collective ability to discover new things.

Top Bottom