Tow bar mounted bike rack - your recommendations please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI all,

The shiny new car has arrived (VW ID4) with a pop-out tow bar.
So of course, I now need to find a tow bar mounted rack...

I probably need a 3 bike rack.

So - anyone prepared to sing the praises of their rack?

Domus

Guru
Thule, (pronounced Toolay, I believe) I bought a two bike one in 2016, not cheap but I only intend buying one. It folds down when on the car allowing access to the boot. Very happy with my choice. :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a Thule 3-bike rack for the tow bar - really good. The bikes are held solid although it can be a small faff getting the frames lined up to allow the clamps to reach through. When not in use it folds down and slides in and easily fits in the boot of our XC40 if out and about, or I keep it hung on the garage wall on a faux tow ball.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a Thule one which you hang bikes off, but found it very fiddly to fit three bikes on, and they could rub against each other & scratch the paint etc. Positives for it were low cost, easy storage, light weight, it hinged down to allow access to the boot, and it fitted easily in the boot when we arrived at our destination & got the bikes off. It was a Thule Hang-on 972 I think.

We now have a Buzzracks Quattro 4 bike model which the bikes stand up on.

It is an absolute beast, takes up more space in the garage & is pretty heavy to lift on & off the car, but it is very solid and the bikes have plenty of space. It still hinges down to allow boot access and it is much easier to get the bikes on & off. The rack locks to the towball and each bike clamp has a lock as well, all locks the same key.

D

Deleted member 26715

Another Thule user here, does what it says on the packaging, typically I bought this one new as there were none 2nd hand for sale until after I bought it. Then the market was swamped with them being for sale, so check out FB, Fleecebay, rags mags etc for a local bargain.

Alex321

Veteran
I have one of the Avenir ones, but they don't seem to make the same model anymore. It just clamps on to the tow ball, can be put on or removed in seconds (has a hole in the folding crossbar for a padlock which would prevent it being removed when you are away from the car).

Folds down pretty small when not in use. Designed for three bikes, though I have only ever used it with one or two.

The Thule one you link to looks fairly similar.

Richard1967

Used a Thule rack for several years before changing the car for a van. Rack was really reliable and bikes very secure, can’t remember the model but it had a tilt system so you could still open the boot.

Top Bottom