Towel etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The showering and changing facilities at work have a heater, above which are 6 pegs. Some people (I suspect the fair weather commuters) hang towels on there for weeks, and the rest of us (being too British) have to forego drying our stuff because there's no pegs free.

I've started to take down the "forgotten" towels, fold them nicely and place them atop the lockers where it's clean. There was already a pile of about 10 (probably done by the cleaners) but I've added another 3.

How long should I wait for the claimants to claim their towels, or can I take the towels home now for rags?

lutonloony

Über Member
Put a notice up, giving them a weeks notice before towels are removed ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Only towels? At my place of work we have pairs of shoes, pairs of trousers, jumpers etc left hanging around the changing area for months without being claimed. It gets worse in the bike sheds where we even have full bikes abandoned, like a rather nice Trek hybrid that looks barely used but has been locked up, unmoved, for about a year. The tyres are starting to go flat now!

teaboy

Über Member
The showering and changing facilities at work have a heater, above which are 6 pegs. Some people (I suspect the fair weather commuters) hang towels on there for weeks, and the rest of us (being too British) have to forego drying our stuff because there's no pegs free.

I've started to take down the "forgotten" towels, fold them nicely and place them atop the lockers where it's clean. There was already a pile of about 10 (probably done by the cleaners) but I've added another 3.

How long should I wait for the claimants to claim their towels, or can I take the towels home now for rags?
Dont be so nice just set them on fire

Every 4th Friday I fold all the stuff up.

The following Friday folded up stuff goes in a bin liner and is left in the changing area

The Friday after that the bin liner is removed to a locker

The Friday after that the bin liner is chucked away

And so it goes on.

I was working a a shared office that had one shower cubicle. I'd get in there and there were signs saying not to leave stuff in the room. Quite often, there would be damp cycle kit hanging so it was impossible to dry yourself without touching it. IE touching someone's sweaty kit with my fresh clean naked body. Euh!

So, before showering I'd take each item and fling it into a pile on a high rack, where it would remain, damp and sweaty, for the rest of the day. I assume the other rider thought he was the only user of shower, because I left nothing behind, so this solved my immediate problem and let him know I existed.

Piling them up somewhere might not be an option, as it belongs to your actual colleagues rather than strangers who work at the same building, but you should consider it.

Every 4th Friday I fold all the stuff up.

A bank I worked in had a sign: the fridge will be emptied every month on <day>. Worked well; no mould colonies and no complaints.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Good replies, thanks. None of it belongs to my colleagues, as none of my colleagues cycle to work. The block is used by a number of different buildings, but I'd say there are only 4 of us "regulars" who use it every day.

The clean pile has been there long enough I think. I shall take a couple home and maybe a couple more each month.

Sixmile

Veteran
I was working a a shared office that had one shower cubicle. I'd get in there and there were signs saying not to leave stuff in the room. Quite often, there would be damp cycle kit hanging so it was impossible to dry yourself without touching it. IE touching someone's sweaty kit with my fresh clean naked body. .

Sounds like my work, apart from your fresh clean naked body.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'd use the pegs for towels which need drying as suggested. Leave the others on the side & let "management" dispose of them ?

Similar - there are five bottles of shower gel in the shower, one is mine, and the 2 other people who use the shower take theirs in & out with them... whether to start using the four other bottles ?!

Top Bottom