Track and Frame Pump?

Sam Kennedy

New Member
Location
Newcastle
I think I've heard of a pump which is a frame pump, but unfolds so that you can use it as a track pump?

What is it called? How much are they?

Cheers,
Sam
 

zophiel

Über Member
Location
Glasonbury
topeak morph ?
 

Svendo

Guru
Location
Walsden
Topeak do their Morph's in several versions, also I've seen some other makes. There is also a Bikehut version which ColinJ showed us on a recent ride which looked good and was reasonably priced and available at Half*rd's (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_700560_langId_-1_categoryId_165661)
I have a Topeak minimorph http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Mini_Morph_Pump/5360022931/ which I like, although it doesn't have a gauge, but I've worked out roughly how many strokes it takes to get my tyres up to operating pressure (140 for 100psi).
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
Edinburgh Bike Co-Op do a "Revolution" branded one too.

Hopefully if you buy it in one of their shops, they won't ignore you for ten minutes (despite you standing there with the item you want to buy & the money in your hand, as they did to me).
 

woohoo

Veteran
I've got a Topeak Road Morph (ChainReaction have them for £27) and had to use it "in anger" for the first time last weekend. It got my tyre up to an indicated 100 psi without any trouble. When I got home I checked the tyre pressure on my track pump and it indicated that the pressure was around 90 psi. I'm happy with the accuracy of the Morph's gauge (I expected it to be very approximate) but the next time I use it (which I hope will be no time soon), I will probably put an extra 10 psi in to compensate for the gauge under reading.
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
woohoo said:
I've got a Topeak Road Morph (ChainReaction have them for £27) and had to use it "in anger" for the first time last weekend. It got my tyre up to an indicated 100 psi without any trouble. When I got home I checked the tyre pressure on my track pump and it indicated that the pressure was around 90 psi. I'm happy with the accuracy of the Morph's gauge (I expected it to be very approximate) but the next time I use it (which I hope will be no time soon), I will probably put an extra 10 psi in to compensate for the gauge under reading.
the guage on the Road Morph G isn't "smooth" ime (tend to jump between indicated pressures). IME, it's usually spot on if you stop pumping once it's "jumped" but will drift between "jumps".
 

woohoo

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
the guage on the Road Morph G isn't "smooth" ime (tend to jump between indicated pressures). IME, it's usually spot on if you stop pumping once it's "jumped" but will drift between "jumps".
Could be. I'll check this the next (hopefully a long way awy) time I use it.

I do have to say that I was very impressed with the pump's performance. I had assumed that it would get the tyre up to a reasonable "get you home" pressure but in fact it did the whole job and I was able to complete the entire ride.
 

buddha

Veteran
I knew it. I make a recommendation about a pump and what happens? A few hours later my first visit from the p.fairy:evil: in 8 months!

Still, the first time I've had to use the Leyzne pump properly, and got to 120psi no problems:thumbsup:
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
woohoo said:
I do have to say that I was very impressed with the pump's performance. I had assumed that it would get the tyre up to a reasonable "get you home" pressure but in fact it did the whole job and I was able to complete the entire ride.
yeah - it makes the difference between limping home (most mini-pumps) and finishing the ride.

A good budget choice (£10-£12) is the Specialized airtool road. No guage, but if you're happy with using your thumb to check, it acheives road pressures with minimal fuss too.
 
Top Bottom