'Track' bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Okay, it looks as if my employer is going to drag this promised Bike 2 Work scheme out until I am due to retire! So that buggers up my plan of getting a new track bike to have a go on the outdoor track a few miles away...

I have an old frame, set up as a fixed road bike - it's seriously old and the wheels are relics (I have riddeen it once and the rear tyre punctured).

Do you reckon if I sort out the wheels and remove the brakes that I could use it on the track?

What else would I have to think about? Gear ratios, Handlebar width (currently narrow bars), what about crank length? It's not really banked so would road cranks do?

I have looked into the option of borrowing a track bike but none of them are large enough for me as they are 'owned' by the Juniors and therefore suited to smaller riders...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm out of touch with the rules now but they used to be very finnicky with anything on the frame that could cause an injury in a crash, so things like cable guides and gear lever bosses may have to go if your frame has them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my 1951 track bike is ridable at manchester velodrome with only minor tweeks (brake removed and track nuts replacing wing nuts) so if your frame was a dedicated track frame, it might well be ok.

cranks 165mm and bb 11" off the ground iirc…

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

I'll have a word tomorrow when I am down at the track with elder Noodlette, just to see what the thoughts are.

Top Bottom