Track cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I have been going to my clubs track sessions and really enjoyed them practising sprints and other efforts but now after todays session i have came away thinking its not for me and i'll keep to TT's and races due to the fact half the youngsters didn't look before moving off the line even though being told by the coachs numerous times to look, and one girl riding a few times round had hair in her face over one eye and insisted she could see through it and when we were doing a sprint effort to join the other group at the oppisite end of the track she didn't keep the same speed or line due to this.

I know they are young and slower but just a quick glance over the right shoulder is enough to see if there's a faster rider coming towards you.

S-Express

Blame the coaches, not the youngsters. What velodrome are you riding at?

boydj

Legendary Member
One of the skills of track riding is anticipating what's going on ahead of you. The kids are learning and should get all the encouragement that's going. The older, more experienced riders need to make allowances for the inexperience and maybe give the kids a little more room on the track. There's no reason why that should limit your enjoyment of the track sessions.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have been going to my clubs track sessions and really enjoyed them practising sprints and other efforts but now after todays session i have came away thinking its not for me and i'll keep to TT's and races due to the fact half the youngsters didn't look before moving off the line even though being told by the coachs numerous times to look, and one girl riding a few times round had hair in her face over one eye and insisted she could see through it and when we were doing a sprint effort to join the other group at the oppisite end of the track she didn't keep the same speed or line due to this.

I know they are young and slower but just a quick glance over the right shoulder is enough to see if there's a faster rider coming towards you.
Learning to take avoiding action when something unexpected happens is an essential racing skill, whether on the road or the track. As boydj said above, anticipation is everything and that has to be learned in real life situations. Stick with it.

Top Bottom