Track pedals question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
When you're strapped into toe clips on the track it's done very firmly & usually someone else does it. Now a quick search on Exustar's sit shows the cleats they mention sit in the pedal between the axle & the cage & look to be more about stopping you pulling the shoe out of the backwards rather than keeping your foot clamped into the pedal.

AlanW

Guru
Years ago everyone used to use these on the road pre Look pedals.

Absolute nightmare trying to stoop down to undo the strap before you could get your foot out when stopping.

If people have problems with clipless pedals nowadays, give these critters ago, it will soon make you appreciate how easy we have it now!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to use these before Look...........

Don't even bother if you are using any clipless system now......you'll end up in a mess.

You'd have to quickly unflip a strap as you came up to lights..... soon second nature, but not something you would 'go back to'.........

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Straps and shoe-plates. I used to use them on the road. Basically toeclips and straps plus a plate with a groove on the sole of your shoe. The plate engages with the rear plate of the pedal. Tighten the straps and you're in - really securely. Nowadays you might as well use clipless.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes - soon became automatic to reach down and flick the QR buckle on the toestrap - soon got to know which traffic light poles were lean against-able. Trickier riding fixed.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Thanks all.

I was trying to weigh up whether there would be any point in me getting them for riding on the track. Sounds as if there are pros and cons. At least I know how they work now.

I expect to be on my arse quite a bit as it is until I get the speed and spinning and going round corners sorted out :smile::blush:

Sudocrem jars will be at the ready ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

Ian H said:
Straps and shoe-plates. I used to use them on the road. Basically toeclips and straps plus a plate with a groove on the sole of your shoe. The plate engages with the rear plate of the pedal. Tighten the straps and you're in - really securely. Nowadays you might as well use clipless.

A lot of us who rode those used to ride them with the straps slightly backed of, this meant that you were still secure but could slip your foot out with out loosening the straps every time, just retighten about once a month. I am still using toe clips but without the shoe plates.

raindog

er.....
That's right, riding in traffic I always used to have the left strap slightly loose so, even with shoe plates, I could always slip one foot out, then for time-trials just pull the straps tight. Soon became a habit to just flick the quick release to disengage a foot in emergencies. Modern cleats are better though.

mattsccm

Plates were either alloy or later sometimes plastic. Just a slot really with a slope on the front and back of the plate so they went in and out easily. Do trackies still use clips nowadays? Would have thought that normal road pedals are used.

Young Un

Don't use them on the track! Go for a proper clipless road pedal, and turn the tension up a bit! There is nothing worse that pulling a foot on the track - it hurts!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Straps and shoe-plates are more secure than clipless, especially when you don't want them to be, such as in a crash.

I have a pair of plastic shoe-plates, new and in their original packing, if anyone is daft enough to buy them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you're a track novice, or not that serious, it's worth noting than manchester velodrome's hire bikes are only available with a look delta or toe-clip option. the pros use a sort of combination of both, but that's for top notch competition…

AlanW

Guru
Ian H said:
I have a pair of plastic shoe-plates, new and in their original packing, if anyone is daft enough to buy them.

Oddly enough so have I?

Heaven knows why I have kept them for this many years???

Top Bottom