Track tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Some velodromes have rules on tyres - they dont like dual compound ones and will have a recommended list of tyres from particular brands, so worth checking what the rules are wherever it is he rides.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No dual compound. Most Continentals are OK, but Michelin not ! Oh and scuff them up before using on the track - i.e. ride round outside or at least rub over with sand paper before getting on the track. Whooops bang !

oldroadman

Veteran
Good advice, worth having a word with the Newport guys for recommendations. Always remember to give them a scuff with glasspaper before us, all over the "tread" area. This removes the mould release material as well as giving a tiny bit more security. If "mini" gets good though, steel yourself for chamging to sprints and tubs, then ask for advice on sticking them on. Tub tape WILL NOT DO for track racing (or any other, in my honest opinion), whatever claims the manufacturers make, it's not as secure as properly glued tubs on a roughened rim bed.

oldroadman

Veteran
Any advice on giving shiny tyres a bit more grip out there? I've done the glasspaper trick but they still seem a bit shiny/hard
Avoid Michelin. Check the usual websites for track specific tyres, and talk to the guys at Newport or Manchester for best current advice on optimum product to use for reliable security on the boards.

Thegiantpeanut

Conti super sonics are great, Vitoria Rubio slicks are cheap and are usually on track hire fleets. As others have said, not dual compounds and coloured tyres are frowned apon. I agree with roughing up your tyres, but make sure they are clean! I got told off because I had dirt on mine.

Top Bottom