Tracking a group of friends on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, quick question from a friend. Personally I am not too bothered but he is new to touring. So, about 10 of us are doing a 3 week tour and each day is around 60-70miles. He would like to know if there was a way to see on a app or other piece of hardware, where the rest of the riders were. We wont all be cycling together as a group especially when we reach The Alps. He just wants to visually see where each rider is. Could be a good idea for our support driver to deliver water on long days. Thanks

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
'Location' on Google maps?

I occasionally use the send my location option on my Wahoo Elment.

Either will work easily.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Quite a few mobile apps exist for this too. Glympse is one but there are others. Whether Glympse would allow simultaneous tracking of multiple individuals I don't know but it handles individuals fine.

Note that all of these (including Garmin Connect) require the use of mobile data connections which might not be available all the time. Also, as you will be on hols take care as we could be about to see the return of "bill shock" high roaming charges. Check with your service provider.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Garmin LiveTrack is usually broken, the few times it does work it is great, but I don't think we have every had the entire group working at the same time. I would not trust it at all. The Garmin forums are full of complaints and Garmin say they will eventually fix it. We use WhatsApp, you can share your live location to the group quite easily and even better you can determine how long you are sharing for.

tom73

Guru
Wahoo location is real time as is Glympse.
What phones/tech do you all have ?
Any use an iPhone / apple watch? Then just turn on location and use find my app.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We use WhatsApp, you can share your live location to the group quite easily and even better you can determine how long you are sharing for.
I didn't know you could do that. Interesting, thanks.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I didn't know you could do that. Interesting, thanks.
Simply click on the + button in your conversation, choose 'Location' and 'Share Live Location'. If you only want to send a one time location position, just 'send your current location'. The great thing is that if everyone does it you can see on one map all the moving dots.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Loads of options. The lightest is probably installing one of those "find my phone" apps and giving the support driver the access code. Mine works by the supporter sending a text and my phone sends a text back with its location. No data used.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
wow lots of great info. Whatsapp seems to be the best from what is written here. Of course, like some have pointed out, it all depends on what the phone signal is like. Last time it was patchy in remote areas, plus I guess 4g needs to be turned on, so the phone is sending data constantly? Sounds really amazing though, that everyone can log in and see where each other is. I know afterwards in Strava you can see where your friends/other riders are. I wonder if they do a "live" setting too?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
wow lots of great info. Whatsapp seems to be the best from what is written here. Of course, like some have pointed out, it all depends on what the phone signal is like. Last time it was patchy in remote areas, plus I guess 4g needs to be turned on, so the phone is sending data constantly?
Only data needs to be turned on. 2g should be enough, 3g will use battery less if and only if there's coverage. If it needs 4g, it'll suck and I'd be very suspicious about what it's sending to facebook (some audio, perhaps?)

Top Bottom