Tracking total milage of two bikes on Garmin Edge/Connect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

I have two bikes and would like to track total milage of both using my Garmin Edge 830. However Garmin doesn’t allow to add different bikes as gear to same activity. So I can only add one to cycling. Is there a way to do it? I also have another Garmin Edge 130 Plus which I can use on another bike but then how can I track that bike’s milage separately as I will still use cycling activity where only one gear (bicycle) can be added?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I have two bikes and would like to track total milage of both using my Garmin Edge 830. However Garmin doesn’t allow to add different bikes as gear to same activity. So I can only add one to cycling. Is there a way to do it? I also have another Garmin Edge 130 Plus which I can use on another bike but then how can I track that bike’s milage separately as I will still use cycling activity where only one gear (bicycle) can be added?

Two accounts? Strava?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
However Garmin doesn’t allow to add different bikes as gear to same activity.

surely you aren't riding two bikes at once? - why would you want to add two bikes to Same activity?

Strava and hence veloviewer allows you to assign a bike to every ride, regardless of what you recorded it on, which Is how I track mine and then you can track how many miles since a new chain / cassette etc by adding "new chain" etc into ride description.
snapshot of Veloviewer....
1657883609097.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
Out of curiosity I just went into my Garmin connect app. I selected a bike ride that I did on Monday, clicked on " Gear " and changed the bike that I used. I exited the activity and when I went back in it was showing the bike that I'd changed it to as the gear that was used. Am I missing something?

Use the garmin but connect it to a strava account that definitely does allow different bikes.

I'm sure garmin does this too - but I just add the info on Strava as it is very easy to do.

D

Deleted member 26715

My older Garmin 800 allows me to select which bike I am riding, then exports that data to Connect Garmin & then onwards to both Strava & RidewithGPS, I would be surprised if the 830 didn't do the same.

Edit:- On 800 Menu > Spanner > Bike Settings > Bike Profiles up to 5 Profiles

Further Edit:- Apparently not as easy but still doable https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fi...le-profiles-on-the-830-it-was-easy-on-the-800

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Thanks everyone. Decided to go ahead with Strava which has this feature work perfectly. Garmin connect iPhone app didn’t allow me to change gears for past activities as it didn’t show second bike as gear which was already recorded. No issues with Strava whatsoever.

Kell

Veteran
With Strava it’s just about remembering to do it.

My account tracks my Brompton, my Road bike, my little used MTB, and my old road bike which is on a turbo trainer.

My Brompton is set up as the main bike as it’s the one I use most often.

I also added ‘random Boris Bike’ so I can track how many miles I do on those. Plus Random EVie bikes as we’ve used those several times in Jersey.

It just need to be done after the ride.

90A43660-2A1A-4B92-9A8C-4162DF92B586.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Absolutely, awesome implementation by Strava. I’m really surprised why Garmin do not allow it as it seems to be pretty obvious feature to implement. Just allow users to create different Ride activity profiles with separate default bikes and that’s it.

mitchibob

Über Member
Absolutely, awesome implementation by Strava. I’m really surprised why Garmin do not allow it as it seems to be pretty obvious feature to implement. Just allow users to create different Ride activity profiles with separate default bikes and that’s it.

Yeah, it's good, but hasn't stopped me thinking about creating separate app to track some components separately, to remind me when I should be thinking about replacing them, unless someone already done such a thing?

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Yeah, it's good, but hasn't stopped me thinking about creating separate app to track some components separately, to remind me when I should be thinking about replacing them, unless someone already done such a thing?

You can probably create some sort of excel sheet to track separate components if you need to as there will always be reference to bike milage which Strava will already track.

I didn’t try it but there seems to be an app for this with Strava integration: https://maintrack.app/

Or there might be other apps too.

Top Bottom