traffic light deaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If I remember rightly, the contention was that female cyclists are killed more often than males cyclists by left turning vehicles at lights. The researchers speculate that this is because men are more likely to jump the light.

The whole thing misses the point about road positioning at junctions somewhat, iirc.

there were three women killed in a short space of time, but only two were at traffic lights.

One was killed going straight on into the bus lane on Pentonville Road - a lorry turned left and ran her over.

One was killed by a left turning lorry at the junction of Streatham High Road and Christchurch Road. I think it was a supermarket lorry.

I stand to be corrected on this, was killed (IIRC) in Russell Square. A long lorry turning left had gone into the right hand lane to clear the kerb.

This raised a big fuss, and not without reason - but, sadly, Boris Johnson decided that all would be well if we were allowed to turn left against a red light - which would not have made any difference in any of the cases - the cyclists were going straight on.

I think that there's a serious point to be made here - you take a chance when you go to the left of a lorry at lights, and, whether or not I'm simply seeing what I expect to see, my impression is that women do this more often than men.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1695668.ece

Top Bottom