traffic light night settings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Have these dopey sensored lights right outside my gates on to the main road from work and when I am leaving there is rarely any traffic. Only way for me to get the lights to change is to get off the bike and hit the pedestrian traffic light button. Real pain the behind. If you don't have a traffic light button then guess you have no option but run them.

Just jump them, but slowly and carefully. I used to have the same problem when commuting at two or three am around the West Midlands. If there was motor traffic in view behind me I'd wait for it to arrive and change the lights for me, otherwise I'd just go through on red.

sjb

I have a couple of sets of lights like this on my commute. I second all the replies saying just proceed through the red light, but carefully....

I read in a thread somewhere that if you ride over the edge of the loop in the road (look for the thin line of bitumen) then you will trigger the lights - apparently riding along the wire in the loop will trigger it whereas crosiing the wires at 90 degrees won't....don't know about carbon frames though...

RPM

Isn't there still a law saying that if you have waited for more than 3 minutes then you can proceed on red if the way is clear, as the lights are not working properly?

maybe it's an old driver's tale..

RPM

Isn't there still a law saying that if you have waited for more than 3 minutes then you can proceed on red if the way is clear, as the lights are not working properly?

RPM said:

No there's an old cyclists tale that if the lights have been red for more than 3 seconds that you can go sailing through them at your leisurexx(.

RPM said:

No there's an old cyclists tale that if the lights have been red for more than 3 seconds that you can go sailing through them at your leisurexx(.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator said:

You can ride like that and still become an old cyclist???

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator said:

You can ride like that and still become an old cyclist???

Cab

Yep, if the lights don't change then my understanding is that you treat them like they're broken, and you can legally go through with care. Tell the local council that the lights are broken, explain why, and pester them till the lights are 'fixed'.

Cab

Yep, if the lights don't change then my understanding is that you treat them like they're broken, and you can legally go through with care. Tell the local council that the lights are broken, explain why, and pester them till the lights are 'fixed'.

Top Bottom