Trafford Centre - accessing by bike question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I went to the Trafford Centre last Wednesday whilst up with family over Christmas and after reading on the website that "The Trafford Centre has a bespoke network of cycle paths and pedestrian walkways within the grounds, and is easily accessible by foot and cycle from the surrounding residential areas of Urmston, Davyhulme, Flixton and Eccles", decided to cycle there (it is only about a four mile journey).

What actually happened was that, approaching from the B5211 Redclyffe Road I turned right at a roundabout and turned in the first entrance I came too, which took me straight into the lower level of the car park. I managed to get up some stairs to the upper level then a bit of wandering around allowed me to finally locate a bike shed back on the lower level near Debenhams.

The question is, what is the best way to access the Trafford Centre by bicycle when approaching from Eccles? I must say that in my experience "easily accessible by cycle" it was not and I didn't see any cycling related signage, however I could have just missed it or tried to get in from the wrong side.

Only a total nutter would want to access the Trafford Centre by bike...:ohmy:

car, bus or any other form of transport :thumbsdown: :biggrin:

You went the right way as far as B&Q but there switch to cycle lane and turn right onto B5214 (using shared use path).

Don't use the car-entrance that you took, continue straight on, on the cycle path and In a few yards you're at the bus-station where you parked your bike.

Most cycle lanes in Trafford are crap and are so I am told, being removed but this section beyond B&Q is on shared-use ped/cycle lanes

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
Spot on, you wouldn't choose to go there by bike if at all.

My preferred shopping venue when up with family is Manchester city centre but I had received a Trafford Centre gift card as a Christmas present and the only way I could get there feasibly was by bike.

Cush

Veteran
Will maybe doing the BHF ride to Blackpool in September how will I get to the Trafford center from the main railway stations with a bike.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
there's been a number of deaths over by the trafford centre, mostly lorries vs cyclists however people who drive there are bloody nutters, you wouldn't catch me cycling anywhere near there.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The BHF ride is on a Saturday night so it shouldn't be too bad getting there as a lot of the heavy traffic in the area comes from Trafford Park during the week.

Nick Stone

I work and ride in to trafford park a couple of days a week, near the TC as it happens, the trucks are a problem but make sure you are visible, also they tend to stop a lot so you can catch up and give them the correct amount of respect they are due for nearly killing you and damaging you pride and joy....

Top Bottom