Trailer Hitch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Toying with the idea of putting a "fifth wheel" type towing point on the back of this
NSNI.jpg

Larger than average trailer being considered(9 foot), and I'd like a stronger than normal connection.
Any connection/hitch would need to allow the towing arm to clear the rear wheels, minimum clearance to allow this just short of 7 inch.
Any suggestions?

Freedomcarry have a trailer arm extension for long loads.

stuee147

a 20mm bolt welded onto the trike with a heavy duty eye attached to the trailer with a UJ joint to allow for movement should work well and it would be simple to try out.

iv seen this on e bay i think it looks quite good not sure about the strength thowe but it looks good lol
$_35.JPG

Wobbly John

Veteran
I can't remember what those are like at the back, but I use the M10 version of these releaseable ball joints on my trailer (they do a M12 one). It's best to stick some grip tape on the release, as they can be difficult to un-hitch otherwise.

BTW, I've had 1/4 tonne on my trailer and loads over 3 metres long behind the BIKE...

... there aren't really any hills round here.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Biggest problem is that the rear wheels limit movement of any trailer hitch, at present.
Not very helpful when making a 90° turn.

stuee147

Would you not be better off having a fixed outrigger or A frame on the back of the trike and the trailer hitch onto that it would help with tight turns or maybe the sort of trailer hitch that connects to a seatpost and have a simple pole to raise the connection point above the rear wheels

Freedomcarry have a trailer arm extension for long loads.

I use a version of this on the Kettwiesel

The simplest form of Stuee147's attachment is a standard hose!

This was used in the BikeHod quite effectively

Bike-hod_hitch_500.jpg

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Last edited:

paul fellows

mickle when you say 'knacky' what do you mean?
more importantly your yard. what is the cheapest layed back thing that you have in your yard that is capable of being ridden to Middlesbrough.
i know the only thing that is truly dirt cheap is dirt, but funds limit choices!:cry:

Top Bottom