Trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike1026

Does anyone have any experience or views on using a trailer for long distance cycle/camping journeys?
Clearly there would be a weight penalty, but less weight on the cycle itself would reduce mechanical stress to the cycle.
Heavy panniers/rack pack, cause stress particularly to the rear wheel in the shape of broken spokes; tyre damage; premature, bearing and chain wear.

There are fans and those who hate them....

There - The issues of drag and mechanical braing needt be considered, but overall trailers are a fine answer to some problems.

I have used them for some years from an early Burley stripped to the shell, througha BOB Yak to a Radical Cyclone.

The Burley was fine, but the BOB YAk was easier to load and acts as a table when camping, the single wheel coping with tracks better.

Now I am older I do more B&B and hotels so the Cyclone which is basically a holdall with removable wheels - much easier for taking in.

Cost is another factor - you need to decide what you want it for and how you are going to use it.

Recommendations (for consideration):

Carry Freedom
BoB trailers
Cyclone
Edinburgh Co-op Yak copy

A good source oti see a wide range of trailers

willem

Über Member
For years I used a predecessor of the Radical Cyclone behing our Thorn childback, with some 40 kg of camping gear, and riding all over Europe. It worked very well, and it was the only way this could be done with young children. The tandem was simply not rigid enough to load it with this much luggage, and would have been quite a handful. For the same reason, the two wheeler was much better than a one wheeled trailer like the Bob. Two-wheeled trailers do not have to be kept upright by you and the frame of the bikie. As a result, they are far more suitable for light bikes of the audax kind, or tandems. And they can carry more.
Trailers thus allow you to use bikes you could/would not otherwise use. When we no longer needed the tandem (the kids now ride their own bikes), I decided to get a loaded tourer, however. I prefer the feel of a solo bike with panniers, but I am happy I still have the trailer so I can use it with an audax bike: ride there with the luggage on the trailer, pitch the tent, and go from there for fast day rides.
Willem

OP
OP
M

mike1026

Cunobelin,
Thanks for advice and help. The info on the cyclone is really useful, their web site is very informative and this trailer appears to be what I am looking for.
Willem thanks for your help and advice.

sadjack

Like you I was looking at trailers to tour with. I posted and received advice. The one reason I did not buy one was the suggestion by someone, "What will you do with the trailer when you want to catch a train?"

If you cycle everywhere this obviously has no relevance....ignore me! But it was something that I had not really thought about. It can be hard just to get your bike on transport, as I found getting home from Cardiff in the summer even though I had booked a place for my bike on the train. It would have been a nightmare with a trailer too.

Just something for you to consider before you make a final decision about trailer v panniers. I'm glad someone suggested it to me so I'm just passing it on. :smile:

Top Bottom