Trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
As part of my uni course I am moving between two houses several times a year. The distance is only about 30 miles and so far I've done it by train, with much back breaking difficulty!

Seeing as I have to cycle 6 miles from the train station anyway I'm thinking doing the whole thing by bike would make more sense if I could find the right set up. I don't have room for my Surly LHT up here (which fully loaded would be ideal) so it would have to be my fixed, or carbon roadbike.

I'm thinking maybe a trailer would be the answer! Is there anything out there thats cheap and reasonably sturdy? It would not be in daily use so doesn't have to be the best, but would be fairly heavily loaded (books, files, laptop etc)

Is attatching a trailer to a carbon bike a big no no? Would I cope on the fixed as it's reasonably flat...?

Should I just make more car driving friends?:laugh:

Probably best to find a trailer which doesn't attach to the drop out(s) of your carbon frame and definitely not a Bob Yak which imposes a high torsional load on the rear triangle. I seriously wouldn't tow a trailer on a fixed wheel unless you want your knees to implode. Which leaves seat-post mounted cargo trailers which are few and far between. There's the Bike Hod but that's more suited to shorter distances. Certainly not 30 bleedin miles. I reckon a second hand hybrid and a second hand kiddy trailer is your best bet.

Unless they have been significantly improved since I last rolled one in a corner I wouldn't want to do more than a couple of miles of pootling with a heavily laden BikeHod let alone 30.

mickle said:
Unless they have been significantly improved since I last rolled one in a corner I wouldn't want to do more than a couple of miles of pootling with a heavily laden BikeHod let alone 30.

Have never rolled mine and that includes a Brompton tour, moving and many heavy shopping trips

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Hmmm, thanks guys. Another bike is truly out of the question I'm afraid:sad:
I definitely don't wanna trash my knees. And it's not like I can stick a big sproket of the freewheel side without needing a longer chain. Bloody fixed:angry:

andygates

You need two-wheeled fu for that move. Heavy + Bob = badness (I speak from much experience).

Fixed + trailer is just hard work. Your kneecaps will not ping off and go flying down the road like meaty shuriken. If you can't shift it, walk it.

GrahamG

Guru
Think laterally - Is there no-one you can cadge a lift off? :biggrin:

Top Bottom