Train Stations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guessing, I'd say Wick and Penzance, respectively!

Otherwise Google it. :angry:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Penzance is an easy couple of hours from LE. For JOG, you've a choice of Wick or Thurso, and they're about the same distance from JOG (if I recall correctly). Trains from Wick all go thru Thurso anyway, so you might as well go there.

Bikes don't cost extra on trains, unless on some operators you have to pay an extra £1 to reserve the slot. Do make sure you do this, though: there aren't many bike slots on some trains, and if there isn't a free one, you won't be travelling on that train unless you're a very smooth talker.

Or you have a folding bike.

For all sorts of advice on this ride, check out the CTC pages here and here, and various accounts (including mine) on CrazyGuy.

wyno70

Personally I'd get off at Thurso as it's another 30 minutes on to Wick (on the train) from there and also it doesn't mean you are doubling back on yourself, i.e. Thurso, JOG, Wick rather than Wick, JOG, Wick. Nothing in it in terms of gradient etc, as it is all pretty flat aroung there (unless you go on to Dunnet head or Duncansby Heads). Just a personal thing as I hate riding the same road twice if I can avoid it!

Penzance is 10 miles from Lands End.

As mentioned above, do make sure you are booked on trains at these stations. If you turn up and hope to get on, you probably won't!!!!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
For the sake of completeness you may as well go to Dunnet and Duncansby Heads while you're up there. JofG is a bit of an anti-climax IMHO, whereas t'other two have puffins and stuff.

shirokazan

Veteran
wyno70 said:
Personally I'd get off at Thurso as it's another 30 minutes on to Wick (on the train) from there and also it doesn't mean you are doubling back on yourself, i.e. Thurso, JOG, Wick rather than Wick, JOG, Wick.

This depends on whether you come up via the A9 route or not. For my LEJOG, I took the inland route via Lairg, Altnaharra and Bettyhill, so went through Thurso en route to JOG.

Top Bottom