Trainer tyre struggles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethompson67

Hi all,

I bought my first bike this summer during lockdown and immediately became hooked. As the winter months have drawn in it inevitably became harder to find daylight to get out for a ride.

For my birthday my other half bought me a Wahoo Kickr Snap trainer. I’ve subsequently bought a trainer tyre and I’m finding it hellish to fit (also first time changing a tyre) and wondering if it is actually the correct size as I can’t get the last 6 inches mounted on the rim.

I’ve posted pictures of rim and tyre below and any tips will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It might just fit, but the rim width is quite wide and not optimal for a 700x23 tyre. There are wider tyres available but they don't seem to be very common, although a quick google has suggested some brands do offer 700x25 and 700x35 turbo trainer tyres.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Most people don't bother with a trainer tyre and just use an old or cheap road tyre. As long as its slick or a very light tread pattern it won't be too noisy.

About 90% of my cycling is indoors and I use the same road tyre in and out which avoids having to swap when moving in/out. Some say this will wear a road tyre out quickly but not in my experience.

Yip its the correct size, 700c is the outer approximate of a 622mm wheel; you can see on the tyre both 700c and 622. Some tyre/wheel combos are problematic, strong fingers, making sure the tyre goes into the deeper wheel well and patience are the key. If you are particularly stuck you can lift the last bit of tyre over the rim with a lever but risk pinching the tube and you need to do it all over again :okay:

DRM

Guru
I’ve got one of those Vittoria trainer tyres on the Carerra Zelos that went on quite easily, I’m guessing that your rim is tubeless ready so tyres can be a bit tight to fit, try getting the tyre into the centre of the rim to give a little more room to get the last bit on, but you may need to carefully get it on with a tyre lever as they are a bit stiff compared to road tyres, they do seem to inflate wider than 23mm.

Top Bottom